• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Committees Welcome Equitable Share Release and Continued Municipal Compliance Measures

Committees Welcome Equitable Share Release and Continued Municipal Compliance Measures

29 July 2026 by Guest

Republic of South Africa: The Parliament
Download logo

The joint oversight committees of Parliament that recently considered National Treasury’s withholding of equitable share transfers to selected municipalities on Tuesday welcomed the announcement that the remaining R7.1 billion in withheld July equitable share transfers will be released to 49 municipalities on 31 July 2026.

The Portfolio Committee on Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) and the Standing Committees on Public Accounts, Finance and Appropriations noted the announcement made at a joint media briefing of National Treasury and the Department of COGTA.

The committees were particularly encouraged by the Treasury’s and the department’s recognition that communities should not be subjected to undue hardship due to municipal officials’ governance failures. During their recent joint meeting with the departments, the committees directed that delivery of basic services must be protected throughout this process. The Minister of Finance, Mr Enoch Godongwana, during Tuesday's media briefing, said the release was conditional and intended to protect basic service delivery while requiring affected municipalities to correct the serious weaknesses identified through the section 216(2) process.

The Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on COGTA, Dr Zweli Mkhize, noted that this announcement responds to the joint committees’ concern that service delivery, particularly to indigent households, must be protected at all costs. “Releasing the funds must, however, not suspend accountability or allow responsible officials and office-bearers to escape accountability for their role in governance failures,” he said.

Dr Mkhize added that the committees are therefore encouraged by the departments’ assurance that a structured compliance programme will accompany the release. This programme includes strict reporting and implementation deadlines from 30 September until 30 November 2026 for municipalities to show progress towards compliance, conduct investigations, pursue disciplinary processes, recover losses and, where necessary, institute criminal proceedings.

The committees welcomed the fact that the compliance programme will also involve the South African Local Government Association, premiers, provincial governments, MECs responsible for finance and cooperative governance, provincial treasuries and municipalities.

The joint committees also welcomed the departments’ commitment to establish stronger early-warning systems and provide targeted support to distressed municipalities. “We are particularly encouraged by the undertaking to end the practice of adopting unfunded municipal budgets,” said Chairperson of SCOPA, Mr Songezo Zibi.

“This undertaking, together with support from National Treasury, COGTA and provincial institutions to help municipalities remove unaffordable and non-essential expenditure, will go a long way towards arresting persistent municipal dysfunction,” he said.

Mr Zibi also welcomed Minister of COGTA Mr Velenkosini Hlabisa’s indication that the number of municipalities with unfunded budgets had already declined from 113 to approximately 76. “We welcome this and support the intention to reduce this number to zero over two years,” said Mr Zibi.

The commitment to apply similar enforcement measures to national and provincial government departments that owe money to municipalities was also welcomed. The committees previously emphasised that accountability must apply across all spheres of government. “We note the ministers’ remarks that the next step is to apply a similar approach to national and provincial government departments that owe money to municipalities,” said Dr Mkhize, adding that the committees would seek more details on this.

The committees also acknowledged receipt of a report requested at their previous meeting. National Treasury submitted the report on the implementation of Section 216(2) of the Constitution this week. Dr Mkhize said that National Treasury and COGTA will be expected to demonstrate that the new joint approach protects services, supports structurally distressed municipalities and holds defaulters and responsible individuals accountable.

“The new approach announced today reflects the committees’ earlier directive that fiscal enforcement must be lawful, transparent and accompanied by support rather than treated as the sole municipal recovery mechanism,” he said.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Republic of South Africa: The Parliament.

The joint oversight committees of Parliament that recently considered National Treasury’s withholding of equitable share transfers to selected municipalities on Tuesday welcomed the announcement that the remaining R7.1 billion in withheld July equitable share transfers will be released to 49 municipalities on 31 July 2026.

The Portfolio Committee on Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) and the Standing Committees on Public Accounts, Finance and Appropriations noted the announcement made at a joint media briefing of National Treasury and the Department of COGTA.

The committees were particularly encouraged by the Treasury’s and the department’s recognition that communities should not be subjected to undue hardship due to municipal officials’ governance failures. During their recent joint meeting with the departments, the committees directed that delivery of basic services must be protected throughout this process. The Minister of Finance, Mr Enoch Godongwana, during Tuesday’s media briefing, said the release was conditional and intended to protect basic service delivery while requiring affected municipalities to correct the serious weaknesses identified through the section 216(2) process.

The Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on COGTA, Dr Zweli Mkhize, noted that this announcement responds to the joint committees’ concern that service delivery, particularly to indigent households, must be protected at all costs. “Releasing the funds must, however, not suspend accountability or allow responsible officials and office-bearers to escape accountability for their role in governance failures,” he said.

Dr Mkhize added that the committees are therefore encouraged by the departments’ assurance that a structured compliance programme will accompany the release. This programme includes strict reporting and implementation deadlines from 30 September until 30 November 2026 for municipalities to show progress towards compliance, conduct investigations, pursue disciplinary processes, recover losses and, where necessary, institute criminal proceedings.

The committees welcomed the fact that the compliance programme will also involve the South African Local Government Association, premiers, provincial governments, MECs responsible for finance and cooperative governance, provincial treasuries and municipalities.

The joint committees also welcomed the departments’ commitment to establish stronger early-warning systems and provide targeted support to distressed municipalities. “We are particularly encouraged by the undertaking to end the practice of adopting unfunded municipal budgets,” said Chairperson of SCOPA, Mr Songezo Zibi.

“This undertaking, together with support from National Treasury, COGTA and provincial institutions to help municipalities remove unaffordable and non-essential expenditure, will go a long way towards arresting persistent municipal dysfunction,” he said.

Mr Zibi also welcomed Minister of COGTA Mr Velenkosini Hlabisa’s indication that the number of municipalities with unfunded budgets had already declined from 113 to approximately 76. “We welcome this and support the intention to reduce this number to zero over two years,” said Mr Zibi.

The commitment to apply similar enforcement measures to national and provincial government departments that owe money to municipalities was also welcomed. The committees previously emphasised that accountability must apply across all spheres of government. “We note the ministers’ remarks that the next step is to apply a similar approach to national and provincial government departments that owe money to municipalities,” said Dr Mkhize, adding that the committees would seek more details on this.

The committees also acknowledged receipt of a report requested at their previous meeting. National Treasury submitted the report on the implementation of Section 216(2) of the Constitution this week. Dr Mkhize said that National Treasury and COGTA will be expected to demonstrate that the new joint approach protects services, supports structurally distressed municipalities and holds defaulters and responsible individuals accountable.

“The new approach announced today reflects the committees’ earlier directive that fiscal enforcement must be lawful, transparent and accompanied by support rather than treated as the sole municipal recovery mechanism,” he said.

Per Kind Favour of APO

Africa Fact: The Fintech sector in SSA is made up of 260 different companies, 80% of which are local.

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: APO

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Why Politics Matters
Next Post:When Should Babies Have Their First Eye Exam?

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Cougar Fuzz

    30 July 2026 at 2:26 am

    Fun South African Fact: South Africa has three capital cities

  2. Arsenic Coo

    30 July 2026 at 1:27 am

    There was a German, an Italian and Van der Merwe on death row.The warden gave them a choice of three ways to die:

    1. to be shot

    2. to be hung

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust