• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / African Leaders Mobilise Funding and Regional Response as Ebola Outbreak Escalates

African Leaders Mobilise Funding and Regional Response as Ebola Outbreak Escalates

26 May 2026 by Guest

Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC)
Download logo

Delays in mobilising resources and scaling up the response to the ongoing Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak could lead to wider regional transmission and greater loss of life, African leaders and global health partners warned on Tuesday.

The warning comes amid indications that the outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda could become the second-largest Ebola outbreak after the 2014 West Africa epidemic that impacted several countries.

During a high-level virtual ministerial briefing convened by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) and the African Union, leaders backed a continental preparedness and response plan requiring at least US$319 million between June and November 2026 to strengthen outbreak control in affected countries and preparedness in at least 11 high-risk African Union member states.

It was also revealed that nearly US$500 million had been committed or pledged by governments, multilateral agencies and humanitarian partners. Africa CDC Director General Dr Jean Kaseya warmly welcomed the strong show of support, describing it as an important demonstration of global solidarity and commitment to addressing this critical challenge.

He said the next step under the joint Incident Management Support Team (IMST) would be to work with partners to validate the pledges, clarify the balance between new financing, repurposed resources, in-kind contributions and country-level allocations, and ensure that resources are directed toward the priority actions identified in the joint response plan.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said African countries had pledged some the funding needed, showing that the continent was taking ownership of the response. “African countries themselves have already committed initial domestic contributions representing approximately 10% of the required financing. Africa is no longer waiting passively for others to act,” said President Ramaphosa, who is also the African Union Champion for Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response,

He announced that South Africa had doubled its earlier pledge to US$5 million for Africa CDC’s continental Ebola response. The Gates Foundation also committed US$5 million to Africa CDC and US$10 million to the World Health Organization.

African Union Commission Chairperson H.E. Mahmoud Ali Youssouf said the outbreak underscored the need for stronger investments in surveillance systems, emergency operations centres, genomics, community health workers and local manufacturing capacity. “African problems require African leadership and African responsibility,” he said.

WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that health authorities were “playing catch-up with a very fast-moving epidemic” following delayed detection in eastern DRC.  WHO has already released US$3.9 million from its Contingency Fund for Emergencies to support operations on the ground. “We’re facing an extremely serious and difficult outbreak. It will get worse before it gets better. But we know this virus, and we know how to stop it,” said Dr Tedros.

Insecurity, displacement and community resistance were hampering surveillance, contact tracing and access to vulnerable communities, including through reported attacks on an Ebola treatment facility in eastern DRC. The lack of approved vaccines and therapeutics for the Bundibugyo strain, combined with limited laboratory capacity to rapidly confirm suspected cases, was further complicating containment efforts.

Gavi CEO Dr Sania Nishtar said efforts were underway to accelerate vaccine research and preparedness for the Bundibugyo strain, while stressing the importance of equitable access to vaccines and therapeutics once available.

The DRC’s Minister of Health, Dr Roger Kamba, called for stronger regional coordination and sustained support for frontline responders, warning that the outbreak was unfolding in an extremely difficult security environment, including in eastern DRC where insecurity and attacks on health infrastructure continue to complicate response operations.

Somalia, Nigeria, Egypt and Burundi also highlighted the importance of preparedness, stronger laboratory systems, cross-border coordination, surveillance and information sharing amid high regional mobility and the risk of wider spread.

Distributed by APO Group on behalf of Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC).

Media Contact:
Directorate of Communication & Public Information
Communications@africacdc.org

About Africa CDC:
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention is the public health agency of the African Union. As an autonomous institution, Africa CDC supports AU Member States to strengthen health systems, improve disease surveillance, and enhance emergency preparedness and response. For more information, visit: http://www.AfricaCDC.org and follow Africa CDC on LinkedIn (http://apo-opa.co/3RxARAb), X (http://apo-opa.co/49l2yCp), Facebook (http://apo-opa.co/4tS8ASl), and YouTube (http://apo-opa.co/3S2h6kl).

Delays in mobilising resources and scaling up the response to the ongoing Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak could lead to wider regional transmission and greater loss of life, African leaders and global health partners warned on Tuesday.

The warning comes amid indications that the outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda could become the second-largest Ebola outbreak after the 2014 West Africa epidemic that impacted several countries.

During a high-level virtual ministerial briefing convened by the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) and the African Union, leaders backed a continental preparedness and response plan requiring at least US$319 million between June and November 2026 to strengthen outbreak control in affected countries and preparedness in at least 11 high-risk African Union member states.

It was also revealed that nearly US$500 million had been committed or pledged by governments, multilateral agencies and humanitarian partners. Africa CDC Director General Dr Jean Kaseya warmly welcomed the strong show of support, describing it as an important demonstration of global solidarity and commitment to addressing this critical challenge.

He said the next step under the joint Incident Management Support Team (IMST) would be to work with partners to validate the pledges, clarify the balance between new financing, repurposed resources, in-kind contributions and country-level allocations, and ensure that resources are directed toward the priority actions identified in the joint response plan.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa said African countries had pledged some the funding needed, showing that the continent was taking ownership of the response. “African countries themselves have already committed initial domestic contributions representing approximately 10% of the required financing. Africa is no longer waiting passively for others to act,” said President Ramaphosa, who is also the African Union Champion for Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response,

He announced that South Africa had doubled its earlier pledge to US$5 million for Africa CDC’s continental Ebola response. The Gates Foundation also committed US$5 million to Africa CDC and US$10 million to the World Health Organization.

African Union Commission Chairperson H.E. Mahmoud Ali Youssouf said the outbreak underscored the need for stronger investments in surveillance systems, emergency operations centres, genomics, community health workers and local manufacturing capacity. “African problems require African leadership and African responsibility,” he said.

WHO Director-General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned that health authorities were “playing catch-up with a very fast-moving epidemic” following delayed detection in eastern DRC.  WHO has already released US$3.9 million from its Contingency Fund for Emergencies to support operations on the ground. “We’re facing an extremely serious and difficult outbreak. It will get worse before it gets better. But we know this virus, and we know how to stop it,” said Dr Tedros.

Insecurity, displacement and community resistance were hampering surveillance, contact tracing and access to vulnerable communities, including through reported attacks on an Ebola treatment facility in eastern DRC. The lack of approved vaccines and therapeutics for the Bundibugyo strain, combined with limited laboratory capacity to rapidly confirm suspected cases, was further complicating containment efforts.

Gavi CEO Dr Sania Nishtar said efforts were underway to accelerate vaccine research and preparedness for the Bundibugyo strain, while stressing the importance of equitable access to vaccines and therapeutics once available.

The DRC’s Minister of Health, Dr Roger Kamba, called for stronger regional coordination and sustained support for frontline responders, warning that the outbreak was unfolding in an extremely difficult security environment, including in eastern DRC where insecurity and attacks on health infrastructure continue to complicate response operations.

Somalia, Nigeria, Egypt and Burundi also highlighted the importance of preparedness, stronger laboratory systems, cross-border coordination, surveillance and information sharing amid high regional mobility and the risk of wider spread.

Per Kind Favour of APO

Africa Fact: On the 1 March 1979, the New York Times carried an article on its front page also page sixteen that was entitled Nubian Monarchy called Oldest. In this article we were assured that: “Evidence of the oldest recognizable monarchy in human history, preceding the rise of the earliest Egyptian kings by several generations, has been discovered in artifacts from ancient Nubia” (i.e. the territory of the northern Sudan and the southern portion of modern Egypt.)

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: APO

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Mzansi Rugby League Says the Future of South African Rugby Requires Stronger City-Based Professional Clubs
Next Post:From Durban’s TikTok Feed to the Global Stage: The Journey of Azra, Miss Public Choice 2026 Dubai Souk International

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Dark Horse

    30 May 2026 at 10:28 pm

    Laduma! – he scores! [laa-doo-maa] This term is usually screamed out when a soccer team scores a goal. Extend any of the syllables for full effect.Example: “Laaaaaaduuuuumaaaa!”

  2. Cream

    28 May 2026 at 6:42 pm

    Thailand: You have two cows. One of them was born a bull.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust