• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / AmaBhungane fights back

AmaBhungane fights back

10 June 2023 by Alan

The investigative journalist outfit has applied to court to urgently reconsider the “gagging order” curbing its reporting on the Moti Group

AmaBhungane has applied to court to urgently reconsider the “gagging order” curbing its reporting on the Moti Group using “leaked” documents.

  • AmaBhungane has applied to court to urgently reconsider a “gagging order” curbing its reporting on the Moti Group.
  • It says the order, which was granted “in secret”, is a serious interference in freedom of expression, the rights of the media and the rights of the public to know.
  • The Moti Group has until this Thursday to file opposing papers.

Investigative journalist outfit AmaBhungane has applied to court to urgently reconsider the “gagging order” curbing its reporting on the Moti Group based on “leaked” documents.

The journalists want the court to reconsider the order granted ex parte and in camera, following a “secret hearing” in chambers at the Johannesburg High Court with Judge John Holland-Muter on 1 June.

While the return date for the interim interdict was October, amaBhungane has applied to be heard on 27 June.

“The ex parte interim interdict is a serious interference with the freedom of expression, both the factual of the press to publish and the accurate of the public to know, what is contained in the leaked documents to the extent that they are in the public interest,” journalist Dewald van Rensburg said in his affidavit filed on Friday.

“Currently we are banned from using the documents.

“We contend there is no acumen why we should tolerate it (the order) for longer than strictly necessary.”

The Moti Group has until this Thursday to file opposing papers.

Van Rensburg, in his affidavit, said amaBhungane has access to a large quantity of documents concerning the group.

Most emanate from the Moti Group and were made available on a confidential basis by sources “who we are not at liberty to identify and indeed whose identities we must protect”.

“We refer to these as the leaked documents.

“Others acquire been gathered through other means over the course of long-standing investigations.”

He said apart from the “gagging order” – preventing amaBhungane from publishing any articles based on the order – Judge Holland-Muter had granted a final interdict directing amaBhungane to return the documents in their possession within 48 hours.

“Even if it had been possible to ‘return’ the documents within 48 hours, which it was not, doing so would violate the core principle of investigative journalism, which is to protect the confidentiality of source material.

“It would enable them to know what documents we had access to and ascertain how we obtained them and from whom.

“It would provide them with insight into our confidential sources and investigative methods.”

Van Rensburg said amaBhungane had moved an urgent application last Saturday, 3 June, before Acting Judge Stephan van Nieuwenhuizen who, during the hearing, had said he could not “understand how the order was granted”.

The parties reached agreement on a variation order, which was made an order of the court, in which amaBhungane was directed not to delete, demolish or alter the documents, pending further litigation.

“The interim interdict against publication, however, remains in area and constitutes a serious interference with the accurate to freedom of the press and the public’s correct to know,” Van Rensburg said.

Van Rensburg said there was no basis for the urgent, ex parte, in camera application and it was an abuse of the court process because amaBhungane had already, through its lawyers, given an undertaking that it would not demolish the documents for at least a year.

The Moti Group had stated as far back as 17 February that it believed the documents had been “stolen” from them (by their erstwhile legal consultant Clinton van Niekerk) but waited 14 weeks before launching the “urgent application”.

“This was obviously precipitated by the publication of the Moti Files exposés,” he said.

“An interdict against publication – whether interim or final – can never be granted on an ex parte basis.

“On the basis alone, the order should be set aside with punitive costs against the Moti Group.”

Van Rensburg said, further, the Moti group had not shown the documents were confidential in any way and even if they were “the horse has long since bolted”, because they had been published in amaBhungane’s exposés.

He said, regarding the allegation that they were stolen, “our law does not regard possession by the press of such information as unlawful. On the dissimilar, the law recognises an entitlement to publish in the public interest”.

“In any event, journalists’ sources’ confidentiality enjoys legal and constitutional protection and this extends to documents provided on a confidential basis.

“If people cannot trust their identities will be kept secret, they will not give sensitive information to the press. Then corruption and other malfeasance in the public and private sectors would not be exposed and democracy and the rule of law would be eroded.”

He listed examples of exposés which would not acquire been possible if journalists’ access to and reliance on leaked documents were not permissible and if sources could not be assured of complete confidentiality. These include: the Gupta Leaks, the McKinsey, Regiments, Bosasa and VBS Bank scandals and the Panama Papers.

The Moti Group, Van Rensburg said, were already in possession of the originals or copies of the documents and “do not require them from us”.

He described the ex parte application as a SLAPP suit brought without the absolute purpose of protecting any legitimate rights.

He said recent reports and interviews emanating from the group and (former CEO) Zunaid Moti himself showed the “true motive” for the ex parte application: That was to ascertain what documents amaBhungane had, how they obtained access and from who, and to “punish us financially for, and intimidate and deter us and other journalists from, investigating the Moti Group and publishing critical reportage on them”.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and finish not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We establish an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We finish not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We execute not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please execute not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: GroundUp, News

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Property developments on the KZN South Coast attracting outside investment
Next Post:Embark on the latest KZN South Coast hinterland adventure – the Nyandezulu Experience!

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. mental

    26 June 2023 at 12:45 pm

    South Africa is such a great country and an African Sunset is on my bucket list, do you have any accommodation and/or tour recommendations for the Cape Town Area?

  2. Feral Mayhem

    14 June 2023 at 1:41 pm

    How many official languages are there in South Africa?

  3. Sugar Hiccup

    12 June 2023 at 9:08 pm

    Is SA\’s former President, Jacob Zuma still a free man?

  4. ZenaCake

    11 June 2023 at 10:51 am

    I saw a quote by Nelson Mandela on MyZA – can you tell me what date did he die?

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust