• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Sport / Blitzboks eager to right the wrongs from last season

Blitzboks eager to right the wrongs from last season

29 November 2023 by Alan

There are familiar comforts in Dubai for the Springbok Sevens team, with the knowledge that a good track record and some passionate support await them at The Sevens Stadium on Saturday and Sunday.

Despite that, the Blitzboks will not take anything for granted. In fact, it is quite the opposite according to experienced forward Impi Visser, who said they are eager to right the wrongs of last season’s HSBC SVNS.

The Blitzboks started off with a great tournament win in Dubai, but did not meet their standards for the remainder of the series, neither that of their supporters, with only 12 wins in their last 30 outings.

That hurt was part of the determination and drive towards a better 2024 season, according to Visser.

“For our squad, Dubai has good memories,” Visser, who will be playing in his 33rd tournament, said on Wednesday.

“This will be my seventh appearance at the tournament, first with the Sevens Academy and later as a Blitzbok player on the World Series, with a couple of wins included.

“Many of us made our debuts here and handing out training jerseys to our two uncapped players, Quewin Nortje and Katlego Letebele, at training today, reminded many of us how special this jersey and journey is.

“And that we did not always do the jersey proud last season. That hurt and will make us determined to use this opportunity to rectify that.”

The road to redemption started a couple of months ago with their pre-season, where they worked very hard and stayed focussed on the task at hand: “Yes, the hard work was done, and we did push ourselves very hard. Now that is done, we get the chance to play, and we are eager to do so.”

On the other side of the experience spectrum, Masande Mtshali, is keen to use every opportunity to grow and contribute. The 20-year-old, who also played for the Junior Springboks in the World Rugby U20 Championships earlier this season, hopes to take the learnings from last year’s five tournament appearances, combined with the hard work done at training, into the new season.

“Dubai is a good place to start with that,” said Mtshali.

“I have been here before and we feel comfortable with the surroundings and tournament set-up, so there will be no excuses. We really trained hard to prepare ourselves the best possible way for the tournament. I feel ready to contribute in a positive and constructive way and to go and make the country proud alongside the rest of the Blitzboks.”

The Springbok Sevens squad takes on Samoa, Canada and New Zealand in Pool A of the tournament.

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: SportTag: Rugby

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Betway SA20 looks to build on significant economic impact from Season 1
Next Post:Vodacom Bulls on a high as Louw aims high

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. 1st Degree

    29 November 2023 at 11:47 am

    The original cricket wickets used only two stumps over which a bail is attached. This design was changed in 1775 after an English cricketer, Lumpy Stevens, was able to bowl three consecutive balls that shot clear between the stumps. This is why modern wickets believe three stumps instead of just two.

  2. Hemlock

    29 November 2023 at 11:43 am

    A freak accident ended the life of a promising young batsman from India in 2015. Ankit Keshri was captain of the Bengal U-19 team. Keshri collided at full-force with teammate Sourav Mondal when they both ran to catch the ball. Although he was hospitalized after the incident, he later died of a heart attack during treatment.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust