• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Concourt Showdown on Copyright Bill

Concourt Showdown on Copyright Bill

24 October 2024 by Guest

The court will hear two applications relating to copyright and the rights of blind people to convert works into accessible formats

The Constitutional Court will hear two applications relating to copyright in South Africa that affect the rights of blind people.

  • The Constitutional Court will hear two applications relating to copyright in South Africa that affects the rights of blind people to convert copyright protected works into accessible formats.
  • The court previously declared sections of the existing act to be unconstitutional and a two year remedy of reading in to the act has now lapsed.

The Constitutional Court will, in November, hear two applications relating to copyright in South Africa and, in particular, the rights of blind and visually impaired people to convert into accessible formats, copyright protected works.

The apex court issued directions on Wednesday, setting out tight timeframes for the filing of papers in the two matters.

One is an urgent application by Blind SA. The other is a direct referral by President Cyril Ramaphosa of the Copyright Amendment Bill in which he raises concerns about possible constitutional contraventions in the draft legislation.

In its application, Blind SA claimed that President Ramaphosa had shirked his constitutional obligations by not signing the bill which would give access to blind and visually impaired people, without consent, to protected material.

As one of its orders, it wanted the court to direct the President to sign the bill.

However, three weeks after the application was served on the Presidency, his office issued a press statement that the bill had been referred to the Constitutional Court.

In a further affidavit, Zeenat Sujee, attorney at SECTION27, which is representing Blind SA, said the blind and visually impaired provisions in the bill do not form part of the President’s referral.

“And yet their coming into force is held hostage by the referral process,” Sujee said.

She said it was no longer open for Blind SA to pursue an order directing the President to sign the bill within ten days of the court’s order and that had been abandoned.

It could also not pursue a declarator, on an urgent basis, that he had shirked his constitutional duties “although Blind SA remains concerned about the President’s conduct and is still of the view that he acted unlawfully”.

Sujee said Blind SA would persist with its application for an order which would effectively resuscitate a previous order of a “reading in” of the existing Copyright Act, which created an exception for blind people to convert, without consent, books into formats they can read, such as braille or large print.

This “reading in” would remain in place as long as it takes for the legislation to be enacted which would cure the defect the Constitutional Court identified in the Copyright Act.

It has been two years since the apex court ruled that sections of the Act were unconstitutional and trampled on the rights of blind people.

It suspended the declaration of invalidity for two years to give Parliament time to remedy the defects through the introduction of the bill and ordered the “reading in” in the interim. But that has now lapsed, and the protections given to blind and visually impaired people have therefore fallen away.

Surjee said their clients needed urgent relief, because even after the court ruled on the constitutionality or otherwise of the bill, it could be referred back to the National Assembly in a process which could take as long as four years.

“Whatever happens in the referral proceedings, this much is clear: without obtaining the substantive relief sought in this application, and for as long as the [the bill] does not become law, persons with visual and print disabilities will continue to be denied their fundamental rights,” she said.

She said this would mean that the apex court’s decision in 2022 would be “little more than a pyrrhic victory” and this could not be justified.

“Put simply, we are here because those who should have ensured that this court’s order was properly implemented, or at least taken appropriate steps to vary, supplement, or extend the order timeously, failed to do anything.”

The Chief Justice has directed that the two applications be consolidated and will be heard on 28 November.

© 2024 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, ACT, Africa, GroundUp, law, office, ONE, Parliament, Ramaphosa, South Africa

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Flooding in the Metro highlights significant infrastructure challenges
Next Post:Celebrating MYS 2024

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Freaky Ratbuster

    24 October 2024 at 7:19 am

    Fun South African Fact: Table Mountain, one of the iconic landmarks of South Africa, is one of the oldest mountains in the world

  2. Instant Star

    24 October 2024 at 7:19 am

    Ja, Nee – Yes, NoOften used in succession, these two words are used to express agreement or confirmation with someone or something.Example: “Ja, Nee, I’m fine thanks.”

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust