• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Education department blames transport department for scholar transport fiasco

Education department blames transport department for scholar transport fiasco

26 January 2024 by Guest

Hundreds of learners are stuck at home and not in school

 

Hundreds of learners and parents attended a meeting on Monday in the Kyga Community Hall, Gqeberha, to obtain answers about why there is no scholar transport for 750 kids in the township.

Hundreds if not thousands of learners in the Eastern Cape acquire been left stranded with no scholar transport since schools opened for the novel term on 17 January.

In Kyga in Nelson Mandela Bay hundreds of learners are not in school prompting a community meeting on Monday with education officials.

The Department of Education officials blamed the chaos on the Department of Transport. They said they had given the transport department the names of the learners and their schools timeously.

Thozamile Qushani, of the governing board for Rocklands Secondary, told the meeting that 384 learners at the school were not in class as they had no transport and in total about 750 kids in the township were stuck at home.

“We maintain one primary school in this township so most of the learners are [meant to be] transported to six other primary schools in surrounding areas,” she said.

Parent Iviwe Mangcu said private transporters charge about R700 to transport one child per month.

An official of the education department, who did not give his name because he said he may not to talk to the media, told the meeting there had been issues with allocation. For example, Van Stadens Primary School was allocated scholar transport for 523 learners instead of 126, while Walmer High School had 60 learners who qualified but only 11 were given transport.

Spokesperson for the Department of Transport Unathi Binqose told GroundUp that the previous year’s contracts had lapsed and the challenge now was to contract recent operators and include novel routes and novel schools. He said the process had encountered more delays than anticipated.

He said the departments of transport and education and the provincial government “are working together to solve some of these problems”.

Binqose said 91,000 Eastern Cape learners were provided with scholar transport with an annual budget of almost R700-million.

However, in a media statement of 10 January, the Democratic Alliance said: “In response to parliamentary questions MEC Nqatha (for transport) confirmed that the total budget was R695-million, and R230-million of those funds had to be used to pay off an worn debt, leaving just R465-million for scholar transport for the financial year.”

Spokesperson for the Department of Education Mali Mtima said schools are being encouraged to produce catch-up plans for learners who believe been stuck at home.

© 2024 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and enact not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We assign an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. Every analytics tools are solely on our servers. We finish not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We carry out not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please enact not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Budget, Eastern Cape, Education, Government, Gqeberha, GroundUp, Nelson Mandela, Nelson Mandela Bay, new, ONE, Port Elizabeth

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Department awards bursaries to hardworking matriculants
Next Post:Premier Bushy Maape pays courtesy visit to Ambassador Darkey Ephraim Africa in Thailand

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Danger Menace

    28 January 2024 at 11:59 pm

    Which unit describes the intensity of light in South Africa? Nelson Candela

  2. Phoenix Tetra

    27 January 2024 at 10:23 am

    Oom – older man of authority / Uncle [oo-um] Used in reference to an older uncle or even someone who is not your uncle but in an authority position. Usually expressed with respect.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust