• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Eskom implements Stage 3 loadshedding

Eskom implements Stage 3 loadshedding

7 March 2025 by Guest

Eskom implements Stage 3 loadshedding

Eskom has announced the implementation of Stage 3 loadshedding from 14:00 today until Monday at 05:00, following a loss of 2700MW over the past 14 hours.

Despite achieving 98% power supply availability, the power utility said in a statement on Friday that the move is necessary to replenish emergency reserves over the weekend while high levels of planned maintenance continue. 

The Power Utility said this includes Koeberg Unit 2, which was taken offline after being brought back on Wednesday, and two Kusile Units whose coal operations went sub-optimal following adverse weather in the area. 

Eskom said that higher levels of planned maintenance outages, aimed at winter preparation and meeting regulatory and environmental licensing requirements are still underway. 

The power utility explained that the constrained capacity resulted in the increased reliance on emergency reserves during this week, which makes it necessary to focus on replenishing these critical resources during the weekend in preparation for the business week. 

Eskom added that it is focused on deploying extra engineering resources to expedite the repair of units currently offline. It is anticipated that 6200MW will be restored to service by Monday’s evening peak. 

The events that triggered Stage 3 loadshedding occurred while the system was already under strain, the statement said. 

Eskom’s Summer Outlook, published on 26 August 2024, remains unchanged. 

Eskom’s Group Executive for Generation, Bheki Nxumalo, reaffirmed the utility’s commitment to preventing a return to the severe loadshedding levels experienced in 2023. 

“We reiterate our commitment to ensuring that South Africa is in no way returning to the levels of loadshedding that we experienced in 2023. Two years into delivering the generation recovery plan, that will bring an end loadshedding, we are at a challenging time and the full force of our highly skilled engineering resources are deployed and focused,” Nxumalo said. 

Nxumalo acknowledged delays in returning previously tripped units to the grid, as well as in the restoration of three units that have been on longer-term outage. 

“We have had some delays in returning units that previously tripped back to the grid, as well as to the return of three units that have been on longer-term outage that will bring back 2500MW to the grid, which will happen over the coming weeks,” Nxumalo said.   

Eskom Group Chief Executive, Dan Marokane, acknowledged the challenges of loadshedding, calling it a painful reminder of the past. He emphasised the power utility’s commitment to ending loadshedding through intensive maintenance efforts.

“Loadshedding is a painful reminder of the past and situations such as this drive our resolve to double down and stay the course to end loadshedding. We again apologise to the nation for this temporary setback. 

“We have to keep our focus on intensive maintenance as evidenced by year-to-date (1 April 2024 to 27 February 2025) loadshedding that was suspended for 325 days (7 871 hours), compared to 32 days (2 103 hours) in the same period last year. 

“Electricity supply was available 98% of the time, compared to just 9.6% last year, that was a result of the deep maintenance we did in summer 2023/2024,” Marokane said. – SAnews.gov.za

 

DikelediM
Fri, 03/07/2025 – 14:34
225 views

Eskom has announced the implementation of Stage 3 loadshedding from 14:00 today until Monday at 05:00, following a loss of 2700MW over the past 14 hours.

Despite achieving 98% power supply availability, the power utility said in a statement on Friday that the move is necessary to replenish emergency reserves over the weekend while high levels of planned maintenance continue. 

The Power Utility said this includes Koeberg Unit 2, which was taken offline after being brought back on Wednesday, and two Kusile Units whose coal operations went sub-optimal following adverse weather in the area. 

Eskom said that higher levels of planned maintenance outages, aimed at winter preparation and meeting regulatory and environmental licensing requirements are still underway. 

The power utility explained that the constrained capacity resulted in the increased reliance on emergency reserves during this week, which makes it necessary to focus on replenishing these critical resources during the weekend in preparation for the business week. 

Eskom added that it is focused on deploying extra engineering resources to expedite the repair of units currently offline. It is anticipated that 6200MW will be restored to service by Monday’s evening peak. 

The events that triggered Stage 3 loadshedding occurred while the system was already under strain, the statement said. 

Eskom’s Summer Outlook, published on 26 August 2024, remains unchanged. 

Eskom’s Group Executive for Generation, Bheki Nxumalo, reaffirmed the utility’s commitment to preventing a return to the severe loadshedding levels experienced in 2023. 

“We reiterate our commitment to ensuring that South Africa is in no way returning to the levels of loadshedding that we experienced in 2023. Two years into delivering the generation recovery plan, that will bring an end loadshedding, we are at a challenging time and the full force of our highly skilled engineering resources are deployed and focused,” Nxumalo said. 

Nxumalo acknowledged delays in returning previously tripped units to the grid, as well as in the restoration of three units that have been on longer-term outage. 

“We have had some delays in returning units that previously tripped back to the grid, as well as to the return of three units that have been on longer-term outage that will bring back 2500MW to the grid, which will happen over the coming weeks,” Nxumalo said.   

Eskom Group Chief Executive, Dan Marokane, acknowledged the challenges of loadshedding, calling it a painful reminder of the past. He emphasised the power utility’s commitment to ending loadshedding through intensive maintenance efforts.

“Loadshedding is a painful reminder of the past and situations such as this drive our resolve to double down and stay the course to end loadshedding. We again apologise to the nation for this temporary setback. 

“We have to keep our focus on intensive maintenance as evidenced by year-to-date (1 April 2024 to 27 February 2025) loadshedding that was suspended for 325 days (7 871 hours), compared to 32 days (2 103 hours) in the same period last year. 

“Electricity supply was available 98% of the time, compared to just 9.6% last year, that was a result of the deep maintenance we did in summer 2023/2024,” Marokane said. – SAnews.gov.za


Watch a Eskom implements Stage 3 loadshedding related video:

Stunning South Africa:

Have you visited MyPR?

MyPR.co.za offers free to publish press releases for your news site, blog or offline publication. Use the handy REPUBLISH facility or the Full Text RSS Feeds or just copy and paste.

Straton Electrical | Straton Solar | Straton Prepaid | Straton Plumbing | Straton IoT | Straton eBikes | BA Systems | Mbane Contracting | Reach Trust

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Africa, business, critical, Electricity, engineering, Eskom, Events, SA News, South Africa, Stage, Video

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:South Africa arrive in Egypt ahead of CHAN clash – SAFA.net
Next Post:Renowned Cartoonist to Move to Cape Town

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Burn

    8 March 2025 at 2:28 am

    Jamaica: You have two cows. They win 25 gold medals at the Bovine Olympics.

  2. Moon Solitaire

    7 March 2025 at 5:35 pm

    Afrikaans knock knock joke.

    Klop klop.

    Wie is daar?

    Bon Joe.

    Bon Joe Wie?

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust