• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / eThekwini land occupiers claim officials attacked them without warning

eThekwini land occupiers claim officials attacked them without warning

14 October 2023 by Guest

The municipality claims it faced violent resistance when it was carrying out shack demolitions

  • Shack dwellers near Midway Crossing mall say they were shot at with rubber bullets and that their shacks were demolished after they tried to acumen with municipal officials.
  • The group say they built shacks on the land as they are unemployed and could not afford backyard rentals.
  • But the municipality claims the group were “very violent”.

Land occupiers claim that eThewkini municipal police opened fire with rubber bullets without warning on Sunday 8 October and evicted about 50 people who had built shacks at the Richmond Farm informal settlement.

The municipality says there was violent resistance when it returned to ruin shacks in an operation that started on the Saturday.

Shacks were erected in early October on land about 14 kilometres from Durban city centre on Dumisani Makhaye Drive near Midway Crossing mall.

Community leader Khumbuzile Zungu said they received no official notice warning them their shacks were to be demolished.

“The police shot me with rubber bullets while I was trying to question about the eviction letter from the court,” said Zungu.

“We grew up in this area so we’re really shocked. Why doesn’t our ward councillor give us land so that we can erect shacks?” she asked.

Wiseman Mtshali said he was hospitalised after being shot with rubber bullets. “When I was trying to talk to them [officials], I was told that I must shut up and creep away. While I was trying to fade, they shot me with the rubber bullets and I collapsed. Then they beat me while I was on the ground.”

Ntombikhona Mngqayi said the municipality confiscated their building materials so they believe now built shelters using plastic. It has been raining since the demolitions.

Community members say shack demolitions took plot on Saturday and Sunday.

Mngqayi said they are all former backyarders. They met on 29 September and decided to build shacks on Richmond Farm land, as they could no longer afford rentals. Most of the occupiers are unemployed and already owe large sums in arrears.

She said she would gain understood if the municipal officials had approached them peacefully and talked to them about removing their shacks rather than “treating us as if we are animals”.

Ward 38 Councillor Muzi Thusi (ANC) said the occupation could not be condoned, especially since they had been building above underground pipes.

“It is better to evict them now instead of waiting for them to build proper houses,” said Thusi.

He said there was no vacant land available in Durban.

EThekwini municipality spokesperson Gugu Sisilana said that after complaints were received from the public, the municipality responded, “guided by our standard operating procedures”.

“The land belongs to the council,” she said.

Sisilana said on Saturday 7 October the municipality “had an operation wherein we experienced resistance from the invaders where we were demolishing unoccupied structures”.

She said when the municipality returned on 8 October, it “found invaders waiting for us and they became very violent towards us”. She said the municipality managed to ruin the structures that the occupiers were active rebuilding.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and execute not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We establish an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We execute not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We enact not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please execute not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Durban, GroundUp, Letter

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:KZN teachers march for safety at schools
Next Post:Road closure along R61 near Mthatha

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Truth

    17 October 2023 at 8:46 pm

    Uzbekistan: You have two cows. They are probably less bored than you.

  2. Snowflake Pixie

    17 October 2023 at 10:11 am

    Kuwait: You have two cows. They each have a diamond-studded mercedes-benz.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust