• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Government jobs initiatives bearing fruit

Government jobs initiatives bearing fruit

28 June 2023 by Alan

Government employment initiatives are beginning to bear fruit with more people now employed in part-time work since December last year.

Government employment initiatives are beginning to bear fruit with more people now employed in part-time work since December last year.

This is according to Statistics South Africa’s Quarterly Employment Statistics (QES) released on Tuesday.

According to the statistics, part-time employment increased by some 42 000 since December 2022, growing from 1.11 million to 1.152 million in March 2023.

Speaking to SAnews.gov.za, Stats SA’s Director for Quarterly Employment Statistics, Matlapane Masupye, said government programmes are helping to abate unemployment even if on a part-time basis.

“These programmes are helpful. From the increase, we have… 35 000 jobs coming from the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative [PYEI] and 6 000 from the EPWP [Expanded Public Works Programme],” he said.

Masupye said that these programmes may acquire an impact even further down the line when the youth participating in the programmes search for full-time employment opportunities.

“The objective [of the programmes] is to equip youth with the necessary skills, which will manufacture it easier for them to enter the labour market. Currently, different companies will request different experience so through these initiatives, you are able to use the experience gained to procure permanent jobs,” he said.

Despite the gains in part-time employment, the QES revealed that full-time employment slowed over the past three months, particularly in the business service and trade industries.

Overall, some 63 000 jobs were lost in full-time employment in the period under review.

Masupye explained why the decrease was expected by the statistics institute.

“Trade [sector employment] dropped by 36 000 and business services 32 000. It’s not surprising from the trade sector because we are coming from the December quarter, which is active. Normally, trading companies will employ more staff to work either full-time or fraction time.

“The business services [decline]… is coming from the sub-sector called labour broking, which is supplying other industries [with labour], especially trade, during the festive season,” he said. – SAnews.gov.z

Read More at the Source

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: MyPR, News, Public Relations

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Deputy President refutes “potentially damaging” News24 report
Next Post:Dr Thokozani Mhlambi drops new single

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Spoiler Betty

    28 June 2023 at 4:28 pm

    What\’s the difference between an ANC MP and a flying pig?

    The letter F.

  2. Junkyard Dog

    28 June 2023 at 4:22 pm

    Jamaica: You have two cows. They win 25 gold medals at the Bovine Olympics.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust