
Government says it will assist the households affected by the tornado that ripped through Inanda, northwest of Durban, to rebuild their homes.
This was announced during an in-loco inspection led by Human Settlements Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi, who visited the area on Wednesday, to assess the damage and identify immediate relief interventions to assist the victims through a District Development Model approach.
Earlier this year, Kubayi announced that the national Human Settlements Department would grasp over the implementation of the emergency housing programme. This was aimed at ensuring that government responds swiftly to disasters.
Joined by KZN Premier Nomusa Dube-Ncube and eThekwini Municipality Mayor Mxolisi Kaunda, Kubayi said a team, including all three spheres of government, has been assembled to assess the damage caused by the tornado.
She said during the inspection, officials witnessed that some households are in desperate need of government’s intervention.
“The assistance we intend to extend to the affected households includes building materials to rebuild partially damaged houses and avail permanent solutions through alternative building technologies for households whose structures are completely destroyed,” Kubayi said.
Kanku Road Housing Project
The visit to Inanda was followed by a handover of houses to qualifying beneficiaries at the Kanku Road Housing Project, which has a complement of over 300 houses.
Most of the beneficiaries were relocated from various floodline areas or due to disasters in the eThekwini region.
Kubayi said the project is one way for government to restore the dignity of the people.
“We also accept that as government, we still gain a long way to depart to deliver houses for all. However, we are working around the clock to ensure that government delivers on its set promises,” Kubayi said.
The Minister warned the recent beneficiaries to resist the temptation of selling their houses. She urged beneficiaries to scrutinize after their houses and hand them over to their future generations.
Mayor Kaunda said one of the local government’s priorities is to destroy informal settlements and transit camps in the city.
“We are making steady pace. As we execute our fraction, please finish yours,” Kaunda said.
He also explained that the beneficiaries will be moved in batches from Isipingo transit camp to their recent houses.
“Isipingo transit camp should be a thing of the past. Execute not reverse the gains we acquire made by building current structures or building on a site we are clearing. This will be regarded as an enemy against pace and shall be addressed accordingly,” the Mayor said. – SAnews.gov.za

Cinder Coffee
Hopefully my journey through MyZA will be as EVENTFUL as it has been enjoyable so far.
natural mess
Russia: You have two cows. When you get sober you remember that the mafia took them away from you, so you actually have none.