• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Health Workers Bring Dora to a Standstill

Health Workers Bring Dora to a Standstill

23 January 2025 by Guest

Strike since Monday at Dora Nginza Hospital over unpaid overtime

The out-patient reception at Dora Nginza Hospital in Gqeberha is usually packed and busy with staff and patients, but on Wednesday the area was nearly empty amidst a strike by nurses and supporting staff.

Workers, mostly nurses, have been striking since Monday at Dora Nginza Hospital in Gqeberha over unpaid overtime.

  • This has meant that most patients have been turned away and procedures delayed.
  • Unions blamed the Eastern Cape health department for failing to fix the health system in the province, especially staff shortages, despite numerous concerns raised by unions, and civic groups.
  • The department has since said workers will start receiving their overtime payments from 10 February.

Staff at Dora Nginza Hospital in Gqeberha have brought most activity and procedures at the facility to a standstill this week. Some nurses are on a go-slow strike while many others have been staging protesting outside the hospital, demanding their overtime pay.

On Monday and Tuesday, workers gathered at the main gate and set alight tyres. On Wednesday morning, the main gates were locked, blocking entry to both some nurses and patients. But a few protesting nurses managed to get in and disrupted wards and other activities.

On Thursday morning, union representatives and striking staff gathered at the facility to discuss the impasse.

Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) Eastern Cape chairperson, Vuyo Dlanga, blamed the department for not “adhering to the method for outstanding overpay as agreed last year”.

He said union representatives had notified the hospital management about the strike. “Our members were inside and only went out to picket. That’s when they were locked out. We have heard that the employer plans to take stern action against employees, but as a union we’ll be monitoring this.”

Provincial secretary of the National Union of Public Service and Allied Workers, Mzikazi Nkatha, said, “The main grievance was that overtime payments had not been paid since October 2024. Workers are forced to work overtime due to staff shortages. This is a major problem across the Eastern Cape.”

Nkatha blamed the department for failing to fix the health system in the province despite numerous concerns raised by unions, and civic groups. “The department is not bringing a solution to the problem despite us engaging them since 2024. We are now faced with angry workers,” said Nkatha.

Nkatha said the strike at Dora Nginza was a reflection of the situation at all health facilities, not just hospitals in the province.

GroundUp spoke to several patients who were turned back from Dora Nginza Hospital. Most of them had travelled from areas outside Gqeberha.

A mother who brought her young son from Makhanda for an operation on his broken arm was turned away. She said they woke up early to catch the department’s free patient transport to Gqeberha.

“I am dumbfounded and desperate,” she said. “My son is in constant pain. There are no nurses to attend to anyone so we are forced to go back home. A receptionist told us that we should keep enquiring with our local hospital to check when the strike is over. They did not even give him pain killers.”

Thozama Mjekula of Wells Estate collects her chronic medication from Dora Nginza every two months. “I saw people in wheelchairs being sent back home. I’m unemployed so I can’t even afford to buy medication from pharmacies,” said Mjekula.

Eastern Cape Department of Health spokesperson Siyanda Manana warned that striking nurses and staff would be subjected to disciplinary proceedings. Manana confirmed that the department sent a team to the Nelson Mandela Bay district to deal with the problems at Dora Nginza.

“Workers blockaded the gate, denying both patients as well as staff entry to the premises. We also heard of staff being forced out of the wards by the striking employees and the fact that the kitchen was closed, denying patients food. We assure the public that there will definitely be consequences.”

Manana said payments of monies owed will run on 5 February and should start reflecting in workers accounts by 10 February.

© 2025 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Africa, Eastern Cape, Gqeberha, GroundUp, health, Makhanda, Nelson Mandela, Nelson Mandela Bay, Port Elizabeth, South Africa

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Crocworld Flying High After a Bumper Festive Season
Next Post:Kosher Certification in South Africa

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Criss Cross

    25 January 2025 at 11:26 pm

    Fun South African Fact: The world’s largest themed resort hotel in the world – The Palace of the Lost City – is found in South Africa. Surrounding the Palace is a 25 hectare manmade botanical jungle with almost 2 million plants, trees and shrubs.

  2. High Deck

    25 January 2025 at 10:04 pm

    It is wise to remember that firefighters fight fire with water before you fight fire with fire

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust