• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Illegal miners voluntarily emerge from Stilfontein mine shafts

Illegal miners voluntarily emerge from Stilfontein mine shafts

29 December 2024 by Guest

Illegal miners voluntarily emerge from Stilfontein mine shafts

Government says a number of illegal miners, known as Zama Zamas, have voluntarily emerged from the disused mine shafts in Stilfontein, indicating that these individuals have the capability to exit the underground tunnels independently. 

This is according to a statement issued by the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NATJOINTS) on Sunday.

“Their delayed emergence appears to be a tactic to evade arrest by law enforcement agencies. Contrary to claims that food underground ran out months ago, evidence suggests that the miners have had access to supplies until recently. 

“Assertions that aid sent down is shared equally among miners are unverified. Government has not sanctioned any official aid deliveries to individuals engaged in illegal activities. Reports indicate that any supplies reaching the miners are controlled by underground syndicates, often leading to unequal distribution and exploitation. 

“The notion that miners remain trapped solely due to police actions is misleading,” said the statement. 

SAPS has implemented measures to secure the area and prevent further illegal activities, but designated exit points have been established to allow miners to surface safely and face due legal processes. 

NATJOINTS said the miners possess the means to exit independently, as demonstrated by those who have surfaced in recent days. 

“Government’s stance is to uphold the rule of law; thus, while immediate aid is not provided to facilitate illegal activities, measures are in place to ensure the safety and humane treatment of individuals who choose to come above ground. 

“Government acknowledges the presence of various narratives surrounding this issue. It is important to rely on verified information from official channels. SAPS and other government bodies are committed to transparency and will continue to provide accurate updates on the situation,” said government.

It said it remains steadfast in efforts to address illegal mining activities, which pose significant risks to both the individuals involved and the broader community. Operations such as “Vala Umgodi” (“Close the Pits”) are ongoing to rehabilitate abandoned mines and prevent further unlawful exploitation. 

Government is also working to tackle the underlying socio-economic issues that contribute to illegal mining, including unemployment and lack of economic opportunities. 

“We cannot allow a situation where the government is held hostage. All court directives have been complied with thus far, including the allowed food supply on a daily basis. 

“SAPS has previously indicated that it is working closely with all stakeholders involved in trying to get those illegal miners extracted from underground. The Stilfontein rescue operation that is being undertaken is not as easy as it seems; it is quite complex, with the depth of the shaft playing a major role in how this operation is carried out. 

“Unlike the Sabie operation, in which the shaft is 150 meters deep, the Stilfontein shaft is 2 kilometers deep to where these illegal miners allegedly are, making it a very difficult and highrisk operation to undertake. 

“The rescue team has recommended that the necessary resources and expertise must be acquired. The practicality and risks involved are also being taken into account. The liability involved is also a major factor. Police are not experts and can therefore not lead this rescue operation.”

Government said at this stage, the mine must acquire services to conduct the rescue operation, in which costs are involved. 

“We are in possession of a quotation that indicates that there must also be a 100% upfront payment. 

“It should be agreed upon that the government must approach this process with due diligence and the utmost care, taking into consideration the applicable supply chain management processes involved. 

“These processes must be above board in line with relevant prescripts.” 

Government urged all individuals involved in these activities to surface voluntarily and engage with law enforcement to ensure their safety and well-being. 

Government said it was committed to upholding human rights and the rule of law in all its operations. – SAnews.gov.za 

Janine
Sun, 12/29/2024 – 16:24

61 views

Government says a number of illegal miners, known as Zama Zamas, have voluntarily emerged from the disused mine shafts in Stilfontein, indicating that these individuals have the capability to exit the underground tunnels independently. 

This is according to a statement issued by the National Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (NATJOINTS) on Sunday.

“Their delayed emergence appears to be a tactic to evade arrest by law enforcement agencies. Contrary to claims that food underground ran out months ago, evidence suggests that the miners have had access to supplies until recently. 

“Assertions that aid sent down is shared equally among miners are unverified. Government has not sanctioned any official aid deliveries to individuals engaged in illegal activities. Reports indicate that any supplies reaching the miners are controlled by underground syndicates, often leading to unequal distribution and exploitation. 

“The notion that miners remain trapped solely due to police actions is misleading,” said the statement. 

SAPS has implemented measures to secure the area and prevent further illegal activities, but designated exit points have been established to allow miners to surface safely and face due legal processes. 

NATJOINTS said the miners possess the means to exit independently, as demonstrated by those who have surfaced in recent days. 

“Government’s stance is to uphold the rule of law; thus, while immediate aid is not provided to facilitate illegal activities, measures are in place to ensure the safety and humane treatment of individuals who choose to come above ground. 

“Government acknowledges the presence of various narratives surrounding this issue. It is important to rely on verified information from official channels. SAPS and other government bodies are committed to transparency and will continue to provide accurate updates on the situation,” said government.

It said it remains steadfast in efforts to address illegal mining activities, which pose significant risks to both the individuals involved and the broader community. Operations such as “Vala Umgodi” (“Close the Pits”) are ongoing to rehabilitate abandoned mines and prevent further unlawful exploitation. 

Government is also working to tackle the underlying socio-economic issues that contribute to illegal mining, including unemployment and lack of economic opportunities. 

“We cannot allow a situation where the government is held hostage. All court directives have been complied with thus far, including the allowed food supply on a daily basis. 

“SAPS has previously indicated that it is working closely with all stakeholders involved in trying to get those illegal miners extracted from underground. The Stilfontein rescue operation that is being undertaken is not as easy as it seems; it is quite complex, with the depth of the shaft playing a major role in how this operation is carried out. 

“Unlike the Sabie operation, in which the shaft is 150 meters deep, the Stilfontein shaft is 2 kilometers deep to where these illegal miners allegedly are, making it a very difficult and highrisk operation to undertake. 

“The rescue team has recommended that the necessary resources and expertise must be acquired. The practicality and risks involved are also being taken into account. The liability involved is also a major factor. Police are not experts and can therefore not lead this rescue operation.”

Government said at this stage, the mine must acquire services to conduct the rescue operation, in which costs are involved. 

“We are in possession of a quotation that indicates that there must also be a 100% upfront payment. 

“It should be agreed upon that the government must approach this process with due diligence and the utmost care, taking into consideration the applicable supply chain management processes involved. 

“These processes must be above board in line with relevant prescripts.” 

Government urged all individuals involved in these activities to surface voluntarily and engage with law enforcement to ensure their safety and well-being. 

Government said it was committed to upholding human rights and the rule of law in all its operations. – SAnews.gov.za 


Watch a Illegal miners voluntarily emerge from Stilfontein mine shafts related video:

Stunning South Africa:

https://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/12422/0874b85490a74e79871aee0fa1b188f5.jpg

Have you visited MyPR?

MyPR.co.za offers free to publish press releases for your news site, blog or offline publication. Use the handy REPUBLISH facility or the Full Text RSS Feeds or just copy and paste.

Straton Electrical | Straton Solar | Straton Prepaid | Straton Plumbing | Straton IoT | Straton eBikes | BA Systems | Mbane Contracting | Reach Trust

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Africa, distribution, Government, human rights, law, Meters, mining, SA News, SAPS, South Africa, Stage, Supply Chain, Video

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:SA sends special envoy to Mozambique
Next Post:Proteas Men Reach ICC World Test Champions Final

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. SpellTansy

    29 December 2024 at 5:16 pm

    Boet – brother. This term is usually used in reference to a male friend or companion.Example: “Hey my boet, see you at the game tonight!”

  2. plum moon

    29 December 2024 at 5:10 pm

    Fun South African Fact: The first successful heart transplant was in a Cape Town hospital

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust