• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / It’s ‘OFFICIAL’ – we are doomed

It’s ‘OFFICIAL’ – we are doomed

15 May 2023 by Guest

Dear Editor

“Far from being the much vaunted ‘project manager’ who was to come in and fix the electricity crisis, Ramakgopa has emerged as nothing more than an ANC PR hack, paid for by the taxpayer, sent to hoodwink South Africans into believing that something was being done to roll back loadshedding. If anything, the situation has become progressively worse since his appointment.”

In public announcements made a day apart, President Cyril Ramaphosa and Minister of Electricity, Kgosientso Ramakgopa, have officially declared the ANC government’s failure to fix the crippling electricity crisis and exposed their inability to find solutions as to how to fix it.

On Friday, Ramakgopa led with the doomsday message that stage 6 loadshedding will continue indefinitely while Ramaphosa, speaking at an ANC event on Sunday, essentially told South Africans to brace for a cold winter and accept that the electricity crisis was not unique to South Africa alone.

The callousness with which these messages were delivered underlined how the ANC government has given up finding a solution to the biggest national crisis ever to confront South Africa since the dawn of democracy. What has become clear is that there was never a plan to fix the electricity crisis.

In just three days, Ramakgopa and Ramaphosa have told South Africans that they we are now on our own on loadshedding and there is nothing that the ANC government is planning to do about it.

Far from being the much vaunted “project manager” who was to come in and fix the electricity crisis, Ramakgopa has emerged as nothing more than an ANC PR hack, paid for by the taxpayer, sent to hoodwink South Africans into believing that something was being done to roll back loadshedding. If anything, the situation has become progressively worse since his appointment.

In 2023, the country has already experienced 2 896 hours of load shedding in the first quarter of 2023 and if the trend continues, will eclipse 2022 several times over. Ordinary South Africans will pay a heavy price for this sad state of affairs with hundreds of thousands of jobs projected to get lost and small businesses closing shop.

The ANC almost pulled off its “Ramakgopa con” but they gave it away when they vehemently refused to support a DA motion calling for an ad hoc committee to oversee the new Minister of Electricity. Months after his appointment, Ramaphosa himself is still not sure what Ramakgopa’s job description is.

With the ANC government declaring incapacitation to deal with the ongoing crisis, the DA led Western Cape government and the City of Cape Town have taken active steps to fill the leadership vacuum. Earlier this year, the City of Cape Town went to market to procure 300MW from IPPs and a 500MW dispatchable energy tender to protect against loadshedding.

This was just one of the numerous interventions in process or planned, by the Democratic Alliance in the Western Cape. The ANC has run out of excuses. It’s about time they own their failures and step aside in 2024 to let the Democratic Alliance run the country and fix the mess.

Regards

Samantha Graham-Maré MP
DA Shadow Minister of Electricity

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Letter

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Makhanda schools press on despite failed national reading region
Next Post:SA discussing “issues relating to military cooperation and interaction” with Russia

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. paris boost

    27 June 2023 at 4:55 am

    I saw a quote by Nelson Mandela on MyZA – can you tell me what date did he die?

  2. Cinder Coffee

    21 June 2023 at 1:48 pm

    Who was it that said that the ANC will rule until Jesus returns?

  3. sleek zelda

    14 June 2023 at 11:54 pm

    I am intrigued by your article – thank you for your efforts.

  4. Twisty Freesia

    9 June 2023 at 2:34 pm

    One day we will all be writing like this.

  5. spit turanga

    30 May 2023 at 9:51 am

    Who was it that said that the ANC will rule until Jesus returns?

  6. Palomino Cake

    17 May 2023 at 3:51 am

    Is SA\’s former President, Jacob Zuma still a free man?

  7. steel heart

    15 May 2023 at 5:17 pm

    Who was it that said that the ANC will rule until Jesus returns?

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust