• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Judge slams ruling against amaBhungane

Judge slams ruling against amaBhungane

3 June 2023 by Alan

“I cannot understand how this order was granted” – Judge.

AmaBhungane has had an order to hand over documents to the Moti Group within in 48 hours set aside

  • AmaBhungane does not acquire to hand over the Moti files, court rules
  • In an urgent application on Saturday, Judge Stephan Van Nieuwenhuizen berated the Moti Group’s lawyers for being “unreasonable”.
  • He granted an order maintaining the “status quo” in which amaBhungane support the documents they gain on the company pending further litigation.

An order taken secretly compelling the amaBhungane Centre for Investigative Journalism to hand over documents to the Moti Group of companies within 48 hours, has been effectively set aside.

The order has been replaced with one in which amaBhungane will preserve and not alter or ruin the documents.

On Saturday, lawyers for amaBhungane launched an urgent application before Johannesburg High Court Judge Stephan Van Nieuwenhuizen, asking for a variation of the order granted on Thursday by Judge John Holland-Muter following an ex parte (without notice), in chambers application launched by the group.

In that application, the Moti Group alleged amaBhungane possessed documents stolen by erstwhile employee Steven van Niekerk, and were using them to write a series of articles labelled the “Moti Files”.

AmaBhungane’s lawyers said while they intended to oppose the finalisation of the interim interdict granted by Judge Holland-Muter, in the meantime they believed the order was fatally flawed. They disputed the documents were stolen, and said handing these over would mean revealing confidential sources.

They said in any case they could not comply because the documents were stored on a server overseas, and the journalists did not want to be held in scorn.

“I cannot understand how this order was granted”, said an obviously annoyed Judge Van Nieuwenhuizen.

He ordered the parties to “negotiate” a resolution which would maintain the status quo and accused the Moti Group of being “unreasonable” in not accepting an offer from amaBhungane’s attorney that his clients would agree not to dispose of the documents until the matter returned to court.

“It may well be that you will easily succeed in a reconsideration of the order,” he told amaBhungane’s advocate Isabel Goodman.

He told advocate Paul Strathern, for the Moti Group, to be reasonable.

Referring to attempts to negotiate between the parties on Friday, with the Moti Group insisting the documents must at least be given to a third party, such as an independent firm of attorneys, the judge said: “If you hadn’t added on strings, this could all maintain been sorted out yesterday … This half-baked order of yours can be reconsidered in due course.

“You baked this cake. You caused the distress. You came up with 48 hours. It’s honest not acceptable.”

The Judge also had harsh words for Paul O’Sullivan, who establish up an affidavit in support of the original Moti application with “proof” through metadata analysis that some of the documents, which were attached to articles published by amaBhungane, had been stolen by Van Niekerk.

“I don’t profess to know how these things work,” Strathern said, to which the judge responded: “Well I finish … Mr Paul O’Sullivan doesn’t know anything about computers … He must maintain an employee who does this. Where is the affidavit where he qualifies himself? So Judge Holland-Muter had no expert in front of him.”

He gave the parties 45 minutes to negotiate and near up with a draft order that “maintained the status quo”.

This was then made an order of court.

What this means is that amaBhungane does not acquire to hand over any documents, but is still gagged from using or publishing anything based on the documents.

AmaBhungane has indicated it will “anticipate” the return date of 3 October and apply for an earlier date in its bid to acquire the entire order overturned.

In a statement, amaBhungane said it welcomed the undoing of the worst aspects of the court order.

“We were seriously concerned about the damage to source protection … On Friday morning already we had made an offer to preserve the documents pending the proper ventilation of the matter in court. This was rejected by the Moti Group.

“While we are disappointed that the gag order issued against us – unjustifiably and abusively in our view – remains in plot for now, we will fight this in due course.”

In a statement, the South African National Editors’ Forum (SANEF) condemned the attempt to muzzle amaBhungane.

“We believe the Moti Group sought to unreasonably gag further publication of any stories about their business, regardless of the public interest in their matters.”

“SANEF will closely monitor this matter, which cannot be left unchallenged because of the implications it may acquire on the work journalists execute.”

It said Thursday’s interdict was “not only unreasonable, but tramples on the precise of journalists to execute their work, and the public’s factual to know”.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and enact not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We establish an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We finish not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We finish not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please carry out not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: GroundUp, News

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Nelson Mandela Bay Half Marathon – the City of Records Delivers!
Next Post:Health Department warns of rising cases of influenza

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Firefly Caramel

    24 June 2023 at 11:46 am

    I am intrigued by your article – thank you for your efforts.

  2. Saint La-Z-Boy

    17 June 2023 at 8:15 am

    Is SA\’s former President, Jacob Zuma still a free man?

  3. Coldy

    15 June 2023 at 9:37 pm

    Could you perhaps tell me which political party is the ruling party in South Africa?

  4. zed

    14 June 2023 at 7:31 am

    Where do I go to post a FREE Event listing?

  5. RedMouth

    12 June 2023 at 1:43 pm

    South Africa is such a great country and an African Sunset is on my bucket list, do you have any accommodation and/or tour recommendations for the Cape Town Area?

  6. Little Cobra

    9 June 2023 at 7:51 am

    I saw a quote by Nelson Mandela on MyZA – can you tell me what date did he die?

  7. Flint

    8 June 2023 at 1:22 am

    How many official languages are there in South Africa?

  8. Prof. Smirk

    6 June 2023 at 9:01 am

    Thanks for this post – I have had a great time visiting your site and find myself now wanting to physically visit South Africa. Well Done!

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust