• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Judge’s Sexual Harassment Tribunal: Advocate Implies Complainant Sanitised Her Part

Judge’s Sexual Harassment Tribunal: Advocate Implies Complainant Sanitised Her Part

23 January 2025 by Guest

This after former Chief Justice Raymond Zondo was not “satisfied” with the initial complaint and secretary Andiswa Menga was told to lodge it anew

The Judicial Conduct Tribunal into a complaint of sexual harassment against Eastern Cape Judge President Selby Mbenenge continued on Thursday with cross-examination.

 

  • Former Chief Justice Raymond Zondo had not been “satisfied” with the initial sexual harassment complaint lodged by secretary Andiswa Menga against Eastern Cape Judge President Selby Mbenenge, the tribunal heard on Thursday.
  • A document, placed before the Judicial Conduct Tribunal probing Menga’s allegations, shows that Zondo requested the complaint be lodged anew.
  • Advocate Sikhakhane insisted Menga had sanitised her formal complaint, omitting any of her own “salacious, sleazy and sexual” messages.

Then Chief Justice Raymond Zondo had not been “satisfied” with the initial formal sexual harassment complaint by secretary Andiswa Menga against Eastern Cape Judge President Selby Mbenenge, and had instructed officials to tell her to lodge another complaint.

This is according to a document from the Office of the Chief Justice (OCJ) placed before the Judicial Conduct Tribunal probing Menga’s allegations on Thursday.

Menga says she first lodged her complaint in December 2022 at the offices of the OCJ, with the assistance of an official who typed out her statement and attached their WhatsApp messages before having it commissioned at a local police station.

She says she did not keep a copy of it.

She said she was informed that the complaint had been “misplaced”. She had then drafted a new complaint on her own, and while emotional, had it commissioned locally in early January 2023, and couriered to the OCJ.

This is the statement that came before the Judicial Conduct Committee (which recommended the establishment of the tribunal), and has been used during the tribunal hearing.

On Thursday, advocate Muzi Sikhakhane, for Mbenenge, introduced into evidence the initial “misplaced” complaint, stating it had been sent to Mbenenge’s legal team by the OCJ.

The letter, sent to his attorneys by the OCJ, stated that Judge Zondo was not satisfied with the complaint and had asked that Menga lodge another complaint.

On the first day of the tribunal’s proceedings, Sikhakhane indicated that the Tribunal might have to call Judge Zondo as a witness but was cautioned by tribunal chair Judge Bernard Ngoepe that he would have to make out a proper case for this.

On Thursday afternoon, Sikhakhane began taking Menga through both complaints, noting differences and “word for word identical” similarities, including the same grammatical errors. He said the panel would have to decide whether the similarities were such “that it is incredible that [Menga] did not have a copy” of her initial complaint when she drafted the second one.

He also submitted that she had deliberately left out things in the second one.

But Mengo denied having a copy.

Earlier, Sikhakhane insisted that she had sanitised her formal complaint, omitting any of her own messages and responses in what he described as their “salacious, sleazy and sexual” WhatsApp exchanges.

In her evidence in chief, Menga testified using screenshots of what she said were the many conversations the two had over more than a year.

She claimed that his attentions were unwanted and that she had responded, sometimes in a sexually explicit fashion, because she wanted “peace”. He was her “boss” and she had done it to “please him”, because he did not respect her saying “no”.

Mbenenge claims that it was “consensual flirtation”, that she never explicitly said no.

He specifically denies her claims that he sent her pictures of his own penis, or other men’s private parts and that he called her into his chambers in November 2022 and asked her if she would suck his penis.

During the cross examination on Thursday, Sikhakhane, through a detailed analysis of the documented WhatsApp exchanges and a series of questions, established from her that she had not, in her initial complaint, disclosed most of her own messages and responses.

Sikhakhane also pointed to a series of messages initiated by Mengo referring to a rape case involving a young Rhodes student that involved the issue of consent. Mbenenge had asked her what was the lesson from the matter and what prompted the laying of charges.

Mengo had replied, “Jealousy”, and elaborated on that saying, “When you do not want to be left, or perhaps interest is no longer there from the gentleman or possibly that you were informed there is someone else.”

Sikhakhane said: “You do not disclose [in your complaint] what you said about the ordeal of this particular student.”

He then asked her: “Is it your view that jealousy is a plausible reason for anyone to report sexual abuse?”

Mengo replied: “No”.

Earlier, he also raised the issue that she had, at one stage asked him, “I wonder, if I want money, will you give it?”

She had not disclosed in her initial complaint either.

Regarding the alleged incident in his chambers, Mengo had said in her testimony that it occurred on 14 November 2022 but in her statement she said it was the following day, 15 November.

Cross-examination continues on Friday after which the tribunal will adjourn to dates still to be established.

© 2025 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Eastern Cape, GroundUp, Letter, Lodge, Makhanda, Money, new, office, officials, ONE, Stage

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Scammers Take Advantage of the Desperate Need to Access Cash
Next Post:Driving Sustainable and Inclusive Energy Solutions, Empowering Communities and Advancing South Africa’s Renewable Energy Agenda

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Cumulo

    29 January 2025 at 4:51 pm

    Fun South African Fact: South Africa has continuously paid tribute to Dr Christiaan Barnard’s groundbreaking medical achievements.

  2. Venusxx

    28 January 2025 at 12:27 pm

    At the end of the school year and a mother asked his son if the exam questions were difficult. And he answers her saying “They weren’t bad at all,” it was the answers that gave me all the trouble.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust