• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Sport / Junior Boks looking for improved effort

Junior Boks looking for improved effort

6 May 2024 by Alan

JF van Heerden will captain a Junior Springbok side showing several changes when they take on Australia in the second round of the Under-20 Rugby Championship at the Sunshine Coast Stadium in Bokarina, Queensland on Tuesday.

Van Heerden takes over the captaincy from Zachary Porthen, who has been ruled out of contention for this match due to a hand injury he sustained in the 13-13 draw against New Zealand last week.

SA U20 head coach Bafana Nhleko announced a starting line-up showing nine changes and a positional switch, while there are a further six tweaks amongst the replacements from the match 23 that did duty against the Kiwis.

Van Heerden, who came off the bench against NZ, starts the match as skipper next to Bathobele Hlekani, who was at flanker last week, in a new-look second row. Divan Fuller and Keanu Coetsee will start on the side of the scrum alongside Tiaan Jacobs, who gets a second start at No 8.

The absence of Porthen means the South Africans will field a new-look front row consisting of props Mbasa Maqubela and Reno Hirst, with Ethan Bester starting at hooker.

Asad Moos retains the scrumhalf jersey, but he will have a new halfback partner in Thurlon Williams, who replaces flyhalf Tylor Sefoor, with the latter not in the match 23 as precaution for a slight knock on the knee.

Other changes amongst the backs see first starts for Philip-Albert van Niekerk at inside centre and Joshua Boulle on the right wing, with Litelihle Bester (left wing), Jurenzo Julius (outside centre) and Michail Damon (fullback) all in line for a second start.

Nhleko said the changes were due to the demanding match schedule, and the with the development of the squad in mind.

“Three competitive games in 12 days mean that load management will play an important part in our team processes and player management,” said Nhleko.

“Also, this tour is very much about us continuing to grow as a team and part of the planning was to give the whole group playing minutes and experience in a very competitive series.”

According to Nhleko, his team will have to show improvement from their opening match against an Australian side who will be determined to bounce back from their first-round disappointment.

“They would feel that they perhaps didn’t get the reward for their efforts against an Argentine side that were clinical on the day, so they would want to rectify that against us, and we must be ready to meet that challenge,” he said.

“It seems we are in for more rain on match day, but we would like to build pressure with the ball and to get our attack systems going, for that to happen, we must improve in looking after the ball.

“The review and lessons against New Zealand last week, must show in the Australia game, meaning we have to be better with our game management, tactical awareness and also our execution to gain more reward for the opportunities we create.”

The match against the Australian U20s kicks off at 11h00 (SA time) on Tuesday and will be broadcast live on SuperSport.

The Junior Springbok team to face Australia:

15 Michail Damon
14 Joshua Boulle
13 Jurenzo Julius (vice-captain)
12 Philip-Albert van Niekerk
11 Litelihle Bester
10 Thurlon Williams
9 Asad Moos
8 Tiaan Jacobs
7 Keanu Coetsee
6 Divan Fuller
5 JF van Heerden (captain)
4 Bathobele Hlekani
3 Reno Hirst
2 Ethan Bester
1 Mbasa Maqubela

Replacements:

16 CJ Erasmus
17 Liyema Ntshanga
18 Casper Badenhorst
19 Adam de Waal
20 Thabang Mphafi
21 Hassiem Pead
22 Bruce Sherwood
23 JC Mars

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: SportTag: Rugby

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Historic First for Argentina
Next Post:Kathryn Bryce leads Scotland to history-making ICC Women’s T20 World Cup qualification

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Troubadour

    6 May 2024 at 3:25 pm

    Jim Laker is the only bowler who took 19 wickets in a test match.

  2. Darkside Isis

    6 May 2024 at 3:25 pm

    The first Test cricket captains for the English team were James Lillywhite and David Gregory. Of the two, Lillywhite was the first to play. He died in 1929, becoming the last player of the very first Test match to pass away.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust