• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / KZN Health launches urgent investigation after hospital assault of 13-year-old boy

KZN Health launches urgent investigation after hospital assault of 13-year-old boy

2 October 2023 by Guest

KZN Health launches urgent investigation after hospital assault of 13-year-old boy

KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health has instituted an urgent investigation after a 13-year-old boy was filmed while being assaulted by two security guards at Ladysmith Hospital.

According to the department, the incident took place last week Thursday, and the matter was brought to the attention of hospital management on Friday.

Department spokesperson, Ntokozo Maphisa, said the security company implicated in the matter was immediately informed about the incident, and immediately took action against the employees.

“The department can, in the meantime, confirm that the two security guards have been immediately dismissed by their employer, who is contracted to provide security services at the hospital. The department has also instituted an internal disciplinary process against the nursing staff implicated in the matter,” Maphisa said.

Maphisa said the patient, who suffers from a disability and was a resident of a place of shelter before his admission to Ladysmith Hospital, has since been moved to another healthcare facility in Durban.

“As a department, we are shocked and appalled by this incident. Our Health MEC, Nomagugu Simelane has made it clear that the safety and well-being of our patients is our priority, and that their abuse under any circumstances, and in any way, shape or form, will not be accepted.

“We can confirm that the matter has been reported to the police, and to the Department of Social Development. We can also confirm that a disciplinary process is underway into this matter,” Maphisa said.

He said the disciplinary process will look into, among others, where the nurses were when the incident took place, who called the security guards and why the patient was assaulted. – SAnews.gov.za
 

GabiK
Mon, 10/02/2023 – 11:20

215 views

KwaZulu-Natal Department of Health has instituted an urgent investigation after a 13-year-old boy was filmed while being assaulted by two security guards at Ladysmith Hospital.

According to the department, the incident took spot last week Thursday, and the matter was brought to the attention of hospital management on Friday.

Department spokesperson, Ntokozo Maphisa, said the security company implicated in the matter was immediately informed about the incident, and immediately took action against the employees.

“The department can, in the meantime, confirm that the two security guards acquire been immediately dismissed by their employer, who is contracted to provide security services at the hospital. The department has also instituted an internal disciplinary process against the nursing staff implicated in the matter,” Maphisa said.

Maphisa said the patient, who suffers from a disability and was a resident of a area of shelter before his admission to Ladysmith Hospital, has since been moved to another healthcare facility in Durban.

“As a department, we are shocked and appalled by this incident. Our Health MEC, Nomagugu Simelane has made it clear that the safety and well-being of our patients is our priority, and that their abuse under any circumstances, and in any way, shape or form, will not be accepted.

“We can confirm that the matter has been reported to the police, and to the Department of Social Development. We can also confirm that a disciplinary process is underway into this matter,” Maphisa said.

He said the disciplinary process will study into, among others, where the nurses were when the incident took plot, who called the security guards and why the patient was assaulted. – SAnews.gov.za
 

Read More at the Source

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Durban, health, KwaZulu-Natal, SA News

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Office of the Tax Ombud celebrates 10 years of excellence
Next Post:The NSRI Weekend That Was

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Twine X

    5 October 2023 at 5:37 pm

    Fun South African Fact: The South African flag was used for the first time on Freedom Day 1994.

  2. Feral Mayhem

    4 October 2023 at 9:16 pm

    Sarmie – sandwich [saam-ie] A slang word for sandwich.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust