• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Sport / Nienaber Back

Nienaber Back

25 September 2025 by Guest

Jacques Nienaber is back on familiar soil this week as he looks to help Leinster Rugby make a winning start to the defence of their Vodacom URC crown.

The double World Cup winner spent six years in Cape Town as part of the DHL Stormers coaching team before moving on to the Springboks set-up.

Now he has returned to the coastal city with Leinster for Friday night’s “massive” Vodacom URC opener against the DHL Stormers under the floodlights.

“It’s always nice coming back to Cape Town. My family is here,” said the 52-year-old.

“I spent six years at the DHL Stormers. It’s a club that was good to me and that I learned a lot from. It gave me a lot of joy and a lot of good memories.

“I’m looking forward to the game against them. It’s going to be a massive challenge.

“They will be very determined. We will have to fight for it, and we will have to go to the gutters for it.

“Not many teams come over here and get a result at the DHL Stormers. They are a very tough team, especially here in Cape Town, with the crowd that they get.

“They are one of the best supported teams within the country. I am sure it’s going to be a massive atmosphere on Friday night and one that we are certainly looking forward to.

“It’s brilliant for us. We are very excited to be here.”

Reflecting on Leinster’s opening block of games, Nienaber said: “We have a tough start.

“We kick off against the Stormers, who finished fifth last season. Then we play the Bulls, who will be very determined after what happened against us in the final. Then it’s the Sharks who reached the semi-finals.

“So, on the hop, it’s the three South African teams who finished fifth, second, and third.

“We will have a good idea where we are after those three games, and then it’s Munster.

“So our first month is a blockbuster month for us, which is great.”

He added, “We are not entitled to having a good start just because we are the defending champions.

“We will have to work hard. It will be good for us.

“There’s always big determination within the squad, and we are a club that prides ourselves on trying to fight for a trophy on two fronts. We want to fight in the Vodacom URC and we want to fight in Europe and try to go as deep as possible in both competitions.

“But it’s important for us to understand we are not entitled to any trophies. We must work hard for them.

“We’ve got no right to anything.

“I don’t think the fact that we had a result in the final last year will be relevant. I don’t think anybody is going to think ‘Hang on, lads, we won a trophy a couple of months ago, so things should be easier.’ It’s not going to be like that.”

DHL Stormers coach John Dobson has a lot of time for Nienaber, the man who oversees Leinster’s defence.

“He’s a very, very good coach, which doesn’t help the anxiety levels,” said Dobson.

“He knows us very well. He was at the DHL Stormers for about five years, and we stay in touch.”

Giving his thoughts on the contest ahead, he said: “It’s going to be a massive week. It’s a monster of a start.

“It’s going to be a heaving stadium, the Stormers against the defending champions under the Friday night lights. “Then, after the game, people can go into the bars in the city and have some more fun. It’s a fantastic night out.”

As for ambitions for the season, Dobson said, “We have to host Play-Offs in Cape Town. That’s all we have been speaking about in camp.

“We’ve got some fantastic new players and it’s a really good, happy, tight squad.”

The DHL Stormers have recruited the likes of scrum-half Cobus Reinach (Montpellier) and flanker Ruan Ackermann (Gloucester), plus props Ntuthuko Mchunu (Sharks) and Oli Kebble (Oyonnax).

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: SportTag: Cape Town, Rugby

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Tshwane South TVET College Students Locked out From Accommodation
Next Post:New CEO for WRU

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. tomcat

    27 September 2025 at 10:24 am

    Virender Sehwag is the only batsman who got an 80+ strike rate after playing 100 or more tests.

  2. Twine X

    25 September 2025 at 4:04 pm

    Adam Gilchrist holds the record for playing the most number of Tests straight after debut.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust