• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Protesters storm Durban City Hall

Protesters storm Durban City Hall

2 November 2023 by Guest

Presidential Employment Programme workers received SMSes on Sunday stating that the programme was suspended due to a lack of funds

Workers who were employed under the Presidential Employment Programme (PEP) in Durban tried to forcefully enter the City Hall on Wednesday. The municipality told them that funding for the programme was carve.

Hundreds of retrenched Presidential Employment Programme (PEP) workers attempted to storm the Durban City Hall in a protest on Wednesday.

They were demanding that their contracts be reinstated by the eThekwini municipality after the programme was abruptly terminated on Sunday, 29 October. Some of the PEP workers who had been absorbed by various non-government organisations (NGOs) in September also had their contracts terminated.

In early October, eThekwini municipality announced that it had dash out of funds due to budget revisions by national Treasury. The programme was announced as portion of the president’s stimulus package in October 2022.

According to the workers’ memorandum, eThekwini had promised some of them employment for six months. But soon after signing, they were told the municipality had insufficient funds to continue the programme and were moved to the NGOs contracted by the City.

The memo stated that many of the retrenched workers are the breadwinners in their households and desperately want the municipality and national Treasury to find the funds to reinstate the programme.

Princcel Govender said she had been cleaning riverbanks but she was told to cease working last month.

“We started in August 2023 by cleaning the riverbanks which were in a very rotten condition. We were paid very tardy in September, and some of us got paid half of the money that they were supposed to pay us,” said Govender.

Vuyokazi Xaki, also protesting, said she was among the workers absorbed by an organisation in May last year and employed to clean parks and to enact landscaping.

“We used to earn well before we started at the NGOs,” said Xaki. “I had hoped that maybe one day I will secure an opportunity to work under the municipality as a manager, because I studied public management at Esayidi TVET college.”

The workers demanded Mayor Mxolisi Kaunda address them. Mayoral advisor Mlungisie Ntombela came out to accept the memorandum. He said that some of the issues had already been discussed during a council meeting on 31 October. He said they hoped that Treasury would fund the programme again.

Ntombela promised that the mayor would meet the protest leaders on Friday because there were “plans in the pipeline” to find a solution.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and enact not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We assign an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. Every analytics tools are solely on our servers. We finish not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We execute not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please enact not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Budget, Durban, Government, GroundUp, ONE

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Tourism announces opening of application process for TEF
Next Post:Tourism opens request for proposals for Tourism Equity Fund (TEF)

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Ladysmith

    7 November 2023 at 3:25 am

    Fun South African Fact: South Africa is part of BRICS.

  2. Driftdetector

    2 November 2023 at 3:33 pm

    Eina! – ouch! [Ay-na] Usually expressed when someone experiences a sharp pain of some sort.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust