• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Slight decrease in rape cases

Slight decrease in rape cases

30 May 2023 by Alan

According to the quarterly crime statistics released by Police Minister General Bheki Cele on Tuesday, rape cases have shown a decrease from 1 January 2023 to 31 March 2023, with six provinces reporting less rape cases.

According to the quarterly crime statistics released by Police Minister General Bheki Cele on Tuesday, rape cases acquire shown a decrease from 1 January 2023 to 31 March 2023, with six provinces reporting less rape cases.

The statistics display that rape decreased by 306 cases; sexual assault decreased by 322; attempted sexual offences increased by 116, and contact sexual offences decreased by 82.

“The decline in rape cases is attributed to, among other things, the South African Police Service (SAPS) upscaling its operations to trace gender-based violence (GBV) perpetrators, arresting serial sex offenders and rapists, and ongoing men dialogues with communities.

“It remains concerning that 10 512 people were raped in the first three months of this year. A total of 4 768 of the rape incidents took space at the home of the victim or at the home of the perpetrator,” Cele said at a media briefing in Cape Town.

Crime against children

Between January and March this year, less children were killed in South Africa compared to the same period last year.

“One child murder is one too many and the SAPS must strive for zero tolerance on the murder of children. Child murders decreased by almost 20% (19.9%), and a slight decrease was also noted in assault with grievous bodily harm (GBH) cases of children.

“Sadly and alarmingly, 29 more children were victims of attempted murder compared to the same period last year. A total of 360 more attempted murder cases were registered and investigated by the SAPS involving minors,” the Minister said.

He said a double-digit percentage increase of 21.5% was recorded in attempted murder figures for the fourth quarter.

“This means there were 1 485 attempted murders of women in South Africa in the first three months of this year. A total of 969 women were killed in the same period and over 15 000 women were assaulted, and the SAPS are investigating assault GBH cases,” the Minister said. – SAnews.gov.za

Read More at the Source

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: MyPR, News, Public Relations

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Justice Minister Lamola sets outs plans to fight crime and corruption
Next Post:Constitutional Court scraps Traditional and Khoi-San Leadership Act

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Red Delicious

    26 June 2023 at 2:23 am

    Could you perhaps tell me which political party is the ruling party in South Africa?

  2. VPR

    14 June 2023 at 4:35 am

    Who was it that said that the ANC will rule until Jesus returns?

  3. Fire Fish

    2 June 2023 at 3:23 am

    Is SA\’s former President, Jacob Zuma still a free man?

  4. Bearded Angler

    30 May 2023 at 2:38 pm

    I saw a quote by Nelson Mandela on MyZA – can you tell me what date did he die?

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust