• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Social grants is one government scheme that must not fail

Social grants is one government scheme that must not fail

11 September 2023 by Guest

26-million people depend on it

The monthly payment of social grants to tens of millions of South Africans helps reduce hunger and likely prevents food riots.

Every month the government spends over R22-billion on social grants, about 17% of tax revenue.

The vast majority of payments are to 13-million children, each receiving R500 per month. Nearly four-million older people receive R2,080 per month. A further one-million people with disabilities receive the same amount. More recently about 8.5-million people gain been receiving the R350 per month social relief of distress grant.

For each of the 26-million beneficiaries it’s a small amount that helps keep food on the table.

Many state functions believe collapsed over the last decade. But the social grant payment scheme, with glitches, has largely worked – every single month since the advent of democracy. Thank goodness, because it’s the one government scheme that must not fail.

It is hard to consider of a higher priority for President Cyril Ramaphosa’s government than to design sure the grant payment scheme works.

Last week’s problems are troubling. This is the fourth scheme failure that we are aware of since the Postbank took over grant payments in October last year (See here, here, and here). No clear acumen has been provided for the latest failure. All we are told is that it was a glitch. This does not inspire confidence.

According to a presentation by SASSA to Parliament in May 2023, this is how people receive their payments:

  • SAPO/SASSA Card – 35% of beneficiaries
  • Post Bank Card – 11% of beneficiaries
  • Other Bank Cards (paid into accounts by Post Bank) – 52% of beneficiaries
  • Post Office – less than 1% of beneficiaries
  • Cash Paypoints – 1% of beneficiaries

SASSA and Postbank cardholders, almost half of beneficiaries, were affected by this latest glitch. Though how many we don’t know.

This is what happened:

On Monday, pensioners reported they were unable to access their grants. On Wednesday, Postbank said the issue with ATMs was resolved but withdrawals through retailers were not resolved yet. But many beneficiaries trying to withdraw their grant money went from ATM to ATM. This then resulted in profuse reversal instructions at the banks, which further delayed payments. Some people are still trying to access their grant money on Monday morning.

From the start Black Sash expressed scepticism about the Post Office’s capacity and infrastructure to pay grants. These concerns acquire been justified.

The social grant scheme helps reduce massive hunger. It likely prevents food riots and rebellion. It is hard to consider of a higher priority for President Cyril Ramaphosa’s government than to design sure the grant payment scheme works.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and execute not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We establish an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We finish not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We enact not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please enact not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Government, GroundUp, infrastructure, office, ONE, Parliament, Ramaphosa

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:New Mpathy clinic model to provide one million patients with Low-Fee Private Primary Healthcare
Next Post:Unfit Public Protector Mkhwebane’s removal a victory for Parliament

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Midnight Bat

    11 September 2023 at 5:18 pm

    Fun South African Fact: South Africa’s natural and human fossil history dates back hundreds of thousands, even millions, of years. Early dinosaur fossils have been discovered in the Western Cape and up to 80% of mammalian fossils found so far have been discovered in the Karoo.

  2. Zesty Dragon

    11 September 2023 at 5:17 pm

    I am intrigued by your article – thank you for your efforts.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust