• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Thabo Bester escape: Lawyers challenge police officer’s objections to bail

Thabo Bester escape: Lawyers challenge police officer’s objections to bail

19 May 2023 by Alan

Bail application for five accused continued for a third day

Teboho Lipholo, Motenyane Masukela and Tieho Makhotsa during their bail hearing at the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court on Friday.

  • Five of the eight accused in the Thabo Bester matter appeared in the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court on Friday.
  • During cross-examination of investigating officer Flyman, lawyers challenged his reasons for opposing bail.
  • The hearing will resume with closing arguments on 23 May.

The bail hearing for five of the eight accused in the Thabo Bester matter continued in the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court on Friday. Legal representatives for the accused continued cross-examining the state’s witness, Lieutenant-Colonel Teboho Flyman.

The defence took the opportunity to challenge the charges brought against the accused and to dispute some of Flyman’s arguments for why the accused should not be granted bail. Flyman had previously testified that the community was indignant and could catch action against the accused, and that the accused could pose a danger to the state’s witnesses.

Suspended G4S staff member Motenyani Masukela is alleged to believe been at the prison gate when the decoy body was brought to the prison. His lawyer Masilo Koenane challenged whether there was sufficient evidence to charge Masukela with being involved in claiming the body that ended up in Bester’s cell. Flyman responded that it was up to the prosecution to charge the accused, not the police. Flyman said he had provided evidence, after which the prosecution charged Masukela with fraud.

Koenane said that because Masukela only reported for duty at 07:45 on 3 May, he could not acquire been involved in starting the fire earlier that morning. He also said that there was no evidence that Masukela helped Bester escape.

Flyman said witness statements suggest that Masukela’s involvement was to finish with allowing the vehicle through the prison gates despite his supervisor telling him not to enact so.

On the issue of bail, Koenane said that there is no acumen to believe that Masukela would commit any crimes or harm witnesses if he is released on bail.

Koenane suggested that his client did not know that the TV stand in the vehicle contained a corpse. Flyman disagreed. Magistrate Mohlolo Khabisi told Koenane that his line of questioning was more suitable for the criminal trial.

Koenane said that Masukela did not receive payment and was not fraction of the escape plot. Flyman responded that Masukela “was supposed to search all vehicles going through the gate. His supervisor even asked him not to allow the vehicle through… these actions note he knew what was happening.”

Asked why Masukela should be denied bail, Flyman said that the community could attack him.

Advocate Kagisho Moruri, for Tieho Makhotsa, a G4S employee who was in the Central Control Room at the prison on the night of the escape, asked whether Makhotsa had made any threats to potential witnesses. Flyman said he had not. Moruri argued that Makhotsa would be handing over his passport to the police, showing that he did not intend to flee.

Gary Botha, representing former G4S employee Natassja Jansen, asked Flyman to confirm that Jansen does not gain a history of violence, does not gain a passport, and that she gave her full cooperation to the police during the investigation. Flyman confirmed. Botha asked Flyman if there is any evidence that Jansen would evade the trial or interfere with state witnesses. Flyman said he does not maintain that evidence.

Botha asked Flyman if he had any proof that Jansen was involved in claiming the body from the state morgue, smuggling it into the prison, or setting a fire in the cell. Flyman said he had no such proof.

Botha asked Flyman who opened the door for Thabo Bester to walk out of the prison. Flyman replied that it would maintain been the person working in the Central Control Room. Flyman said that it was Jansen and Makhotsa who had opened the door.

“How enact you know that it was specifically [Jansen] that opened the door?” asked Botha.

“They were the people who were in charge of opening or closing the doors at G4S,” Flyman said. He also said it was their duty to check the cameras.

Magistrate Khabisi interjected: “We are not yet on trial … I’m not sure what you’re getting at.”

“My argument is that there is no evidence against my client,” Botha said.

Botha said there was no evidence that Jansen received any money. Flyman agreed but said that he still did not reflect Jansen should receive bail.

The hearing will resume on 23 May for closing arguments.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and enact not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We keep an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We enact not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We finish not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please finish not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: GroundUp, News

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Blitzboks Positive
Next Post:Presidential Imbizo hailed as a success

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Gas Man

    13 June 2023 at 10:09 am

    Is SA\’s former President, Jacob Zuma still a free man?

  2. Necromancer

    9 June 2023 at 6:43 pm

    Could you perhaps tell me which political party is the ruling party in South Africa?

  3. Devil Chick

    8 June 2023 at 2:15 pm

    Thanks for this post – I have had a great time visiting your site and find myself now wanting to physically visit South Africa. Well Done!

  4. Lord Nikon

    6 June 2023 at 7:59 am

    Could you perhaps tell me which political party is the ruling party in South Africa?

  5. Ladybird

    29 May 2023 at 5:37 am

    Could you perhaps tell me which political party is the ruling party in South Africa?

  6. Gas Man

    25 May 2023 at 7:32 pm

    I saw a quote by Nelson Mandela on MyZA – can you tell me what date did he die?

  7. lilac lizard

    24 May 2023 at 8:00 am

    How many official languages are there in South Africa?

  8. Spit Turanga

    22 May 2023 at 1:37 am

    I saw a quote by Nelson Mandela on MyZA – can you tell me what date did he die?

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust