• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Sport / Venue Confirmed for HSBC Sevens Challenger 2025 Opener

Venue Confirmed for HSBC Sevens Challenger 2025 Opener

6 February 2025 by Alan

Athlone Stadium in Cape Town will host the opening two rounds of the World Rugby HSBC Sevens Challenger 2025, where the Springbok Women’s Sevens team will start their quest to regain their World Series core team status for next season.

World Rugby confirmed that the first two of three Challenger tournaments will be hosted in the Mother City on the weekends of 1-2 and 7-8 March, with 12 men’s and 12 women’s teams – all of whom have qualified via regional competitions – battling it out for HSBC SVNS spots.

The top eight placed men’s and women’s teams will progress to the third round at the Henryk Reyman’s Municipal Stadium in Krakow, Poland on 11-12 April, after which the top four ranked men’s and women’s teams will qualify for the HSBC SVNS Play-off tournament in Los Angeles on 3-4 May.

The Bok Women’s Sevens are in Pool A with Czechia and Hong Kong China in the opening tournament, while Pool B features Argentina, Thailand and Mexico. Pool C sees Belgium, Uganda and Colombia go into battle, and Poland, Samoa and Kenya make up Pool D.

Play starts at 10h00 and South Africa’s pool matches on Saturday, 1 March are scheduled for 15h55 (Hong Kong China) and 19h36 (Czechia), with the playoffs to follow the next day.

The first two rounds of the Challenger will replicate the competition format used for the recent HSBC SVNS Cape Town tournament in December 2024. This sees the four pool winners progress directly to contest the semi-finals, while second placed teams will play for fifth to eighth places and teams finishing third in their pools will compete for ninth to twelfth positions.

Renfred Dazel, head coach of the Springbok Women’s Sevens team, welcomed the news that his team will be playing at Athlone Stadium in the opening two legs of the Challenger series.

“It is a massive boost for us to play in front of our home crowd, especially after we missed out on the HSBC SVNS Cape Town earlier in the season,” said Dazel.

“We have been working really hard to be in the best shape possible for the Challenger Series. We have seen how competitive and unpredictable this series can be when we played two years ago, so the supporters will be in for top class action. We are determined to get back to the world series, and we will deliver our best effort in Cape Town next month.”

Rian Oberholzer, CEO of SA Rugby, said: “We are honoured to be chosen to host these tournaments as it not only underlines our commitment to rugby on a global scale, but also provides us with another opportunity to showcase South Africa as a highly desirable destination for big sporting events.

“Over the last few years, we’ve hosted matches in the World Rugby U20 Championship and WXV 2 at Athlone Stadium, and it’s a superb venue with all the necessary amenities to host another international event.

“The last time we hosted the Challenger, two years ago in Stellenbosch, our Springbok Women’s Sevens team were crowned champions and booked their spot on the World Series, and we would love nothing more than to see them replicate those performances in March.”

Meanwhile, South Africa’s Griffin Colby and Giana Viljoen have been included on the team of 18 Emirates Match Officials from 11 unions who make up the men’s and women’s panels for the Challenger 2025.

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: SportTag: Cape Town, Rugby

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:SARU to Appoint Independent Financial Advisors
Next Post:A Century of Matches

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. red woman

    6 February 2025 at 3:54 pm

    The Cricket sport was played in 1896 and 1900 in the Olympics.

  2. Raggedy Ann

    6 February 2025 at 3:54 pm

    Chris Gayle is the only batsman to hit a six off the first ball of a Test match – In the 137 years of Test cricket no cricketer has ever hit a six off the first ball of a Test match. Audacious Chris Gayle achieved this feat against Bangladesh in 2012 off debutant Sohag Gazi.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust