• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Anti-immigrant Protests Erupt at Durban School

Anti-immigrant Protests Erupt at Durban School

22 January 2026 by Guest

Education department rejects claims that immigrants are given preference

Police shielded learners from protesters at Addington Primary School.

Police had to protect immigrant learners from protesters outside Addington Primary School in Point, Durban, on Wednesday.

Members of the anti-immigration movement March and March, together with members of the MK Party, believe, without evidence, that immigrant learners are being prioritised over South Africans who want to be placed in the school.

Some demonstrators attempted to block immigrant parents from fetching their children from school. Police used a water cannon and stun grenades to disperse the crowd and escorted the children safely to the vehicles.

This follows a similar protest last week, during which some South Africans stood by immigrant parents to defend their right to education.

A list of 66 learners who wanted to be placed in the school was presented by March and March.

Ironically, 20 of the learners on the list are not South African, said KwaZulu-Natal education spokesperson Muzi Mahlambi.

Mahlambi rejected allegations that immigrants are given preference.

All 66 learners have now been placed in schools, said Mahlambi.

In a statement, the department condemned the protest, saying it “resulted in a traumatic experience for learners”. “This incident is deeply regrettable and necessitated … psychosocial support to affected learners.”

Members of the March and March movement and MK Party participated in the protest on Wednesday.

Flood victims want their children to be in nearer schools

The parents of an additional 15 children, whose families were displaced by floods in April 2022, want placements in nearby schools.

The flood victims had been relocated to temporary housing in Point Road, near Addington Primary School, and provided with scholar transport by the department. But that service was discontinued due to a lack of funds.

The department has requested funds from the provincial treasury to resume the scholar transport service, Mahlambi said.

Some of the flood victims have been visiting the school every day since last week, demanding that their children be admitted.

Samkelisiwe Mphangeli’s child was finally given a place at Addington on Wednesday. “I am not working, so sending my child to the school where I will have to pay for transport was not going to be easy for me,” said Mphangeli.

Noxolo Phakathi said the communication from the department has been confusing. She was first promised a space at Addington, but then the offer was retracted, she said.

© 2026 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

The #JusticeForWomen movement advocates for women’s rights and protection against violence and discrimination.

Read More at the Source

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: African, CAN, children, Durban, Education, GroundUp, KwaZulu-Natal, List, march, Water

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:South Africa meat-price growth at eight-year high on outbreak | SA News
Next Post:Inclusion in AGOA is key to South Africa’s economic recovery | Freedom Front Plus | SA News

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Storm Master

    24 January 2026 at 10:09 pm

    Fun South African Fact: There are around 3,000 shipwrecks off the coast of South Africa.

  2. Pop Bee

    22 January 2026 at 12:01 pm

    Greenland: You have two cows. They are in for a surprise.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust