• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / “Horny” Judge Asked Secretary for Sex, Judicial Conduct Tribunal Hears

“Horny” Judge Asked Secretary for Sex, Judicial Conduct Tribunal Hears

20 January 2025 by Guest

The hearing of a complaint of sexual harassment against Eastern Cape Judge President Selby Mbenenge has entered its second week

The Judicial Conduct Tribunal into a complaint of sexual harassment against Eastern Cape Judge President Selby Mbenenge entered its second week on Monday.

  • “Horny” judge asked secretary to suck his erect penis, the Judicial Conduct Tribunal heard on Monday.
  • Secretary Andiswa Mengo said that after a year of sexual harassment from Eastern Cape Judge President Selby Mbenenge, she finally posted the “proof” on social media.
  • When she eventually laid a complaint against him at the Office of the Chief Justice, she was told she was not the first to do so.

On Monday, judges’ secretary Andiswa Mengo claimed that Eastern Cape Judge President Selby Mbenenge said, “Do you see how much effect you have on me?” and pointed towards the front of his pants.

She said there was a “round shape”, a bulge – indicative of the fact that he was “horny”. He was fiddling with his zip.

“He asked me if I didn’t want to suck it,” she said, her voice breaking. Tears streamed down her face.

She said the incident occurred in the week of 14 November 2022 when he called her into his chambers at the Umtata High Court.

Mengo is testifying before a Judicial Conduct Tribunal which is probing her allegations that he sexually harassed her between 2021 and 2022 through multiple suggestive messages via WhatsApp, inappropriate comments and gestures regarding her appearance at work, and this specific incident in his chambers.

The tribunal has entered its second week with most of the evidence so far relating to details of the many WhatsApp conversations between them, most of them initiated by Mbenenge after work hours.

She previously testified that he had sent her a picture of his penis which she had identified because “the hair was the same colour as the hair on his head”.

He also sent her sexually suggestive emojis and stickers. Much of this evidence is contained in downloads from Mengo’s cellphone.

But on Monday, evidence leader Advocate Salome Scheepers introduced exchanges which did not form part of the transcripts but came from “screenshots” which Mengo said she had taken and sent to others for “safekeeping” before Mbenenge could delete them.

These formed part of her initial complaint to the Judicial Conduct Committee.

She testified about another picture he had sent her of a penis.

She had made a screenshot of it before he could delete it and sent it to two colleagues (one of whom has subsequently died).

When she sent it to the second colleague, “Brenda”, Brenda responded: “Who sent you this. Is it Mbenenge?”

Mengo said Brenda had then said, “He is the person that sends these to people.”

In another screenshot, which she said she messaged to him in response to the penis picture, she had said, “Please don’t take out your shit on me. I am not like the others. I respect myself so can you for one respect me before I lose it or go crazy. You make me lose morals with what you are doing. You are an elder.”

Asked why she had sent him this message, she said, “I was fed up. These pictures were being repeatedly sent to me and I was not responding to them. I was also angered by the fact that my word was not heard. And he did not understand the manner in which I was saying no to him.”

After the incident in his chambers, Mengo said she was shocked. She went back to her office and left work. She said she did not initially tell anyone, because she was “scared no-one would believe me”.

She did however later inform a colleague and a judge and the director of court operations, Denim Kroquwana.

She had proposed to him a “round table” meeting, with judges selected by her, at which she would tell Mbenenge to “stop”.

But this meeting never happened. She heard that Mbenenge was saying she was telling lies.

In early December 2022, in the early hours one morning, she uploaded their WhatsApp chats, the picture of his “private part”, and his profile picture onto her WhatsApp status, with the words, “Let the bus move”.

Asked why she did this, she said, “No one believed me. No one was going to believe me. It was my way of crying out that here is the proof. Let them see it for themselves.”

During that day, Mbenenge had twice tried to call her but she did not take his calls and finally blocked him because she “wanted peace”.

Judge Lindiwe Rusi had messaged and phoned several times. She said “tata” [Mbenenge] was asking what she wanted, what he could do for her.

“I said there’s nothing,” she said.

Mengo said when she went to Gauteng to lay a formal complaint, she was told by an advocate in the office of the Chief Justice that she was not the first to complain about him.

The hearing, which is chaired by retired Judge President Bernard Ngoepe, will continue on Tuesday.

© 2025 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Eastern Cape, GroundUp, head, Makhanda, office, ONE, Social Media

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:SAFA continuing with the business of football – SAFA.net
Next Post:No-Fee Gauteng School Accused of Demanding Money for Stationery

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Koi Diva

    21 January 2025 at 7:20 am

    With enough thrust, pigs, can in fact fly

  2. Kamikaze Granny

    21 January 2025 at 7:19 am

    Drinking game: SA rules whenever your girl friend goes to the loo you take 4 shots

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust