• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / No-Fee Gauteng School Accused of Demanding Money for Stationery

No-Fee Gauteng School Accused of Demanding Money for Stationery

21 January 2025 by Guest

Coercing donations out of parents at no-fee schools is unlawful, says Equal Education Law Centre

Parents with learners at Thuto Lesedi Secondary, a no-fee school in Vosloorus, say they came under pressure from the school to make donations of R600 to R800 for basic stationery.

Some parents have accused Thuso Lesedi Secondary, a no-fee school in Vosloorus, of coercing them to pay “donations” for stationery – R600 for most learners and R800 for matriculants. If payment is not made, the learners are denied basic stationery.

A flier, distributed before opening day, said learners who paid would be prioritised for the distribution of stationery.

Parents unable to pay say they have experienced hostility. Pureen Nkambule, whose child is in grade 8, is unemployed and relies on social grants. She had asked for a period of grace to pay the money. “My child came home sad last week, saying that the school had denied her free basic stationery because we had not paid the top-up donation fee.”

Pensioner Joyce Mngomezulu, who looks after her late daughter’s two children, said both had been denied stationery. When she went to the school, R1,200 was demanded of her. She said she spent her January pension on their school uniforms and is short on money for food.

“Since when are people forced to pay money in a no-fee school?” asked Patricia Nkosi, whose orphaned niece attends the school. She said she was blocked on the school’s social media group after she complained.

Nomsa Khoza, who also has a niece at the school, published a Facebook post which went viral.

“These financial burdens imposed on underprivileged children are resulting in a high rate of dropouts, disparities in learning, emotional and psychological strife, increased pressure on families and reduced educational opportunities,” she said.

Gauteng Department of Education spokesperson Steven Mabona said the officials were sent to check last week. They found no evidence that stationery was being withheld from students for not paying donations.

“The school was advised to issue stationery to all learners by Friday,” said Mabona.

School governing board (SGB) member Morongoa Ramaru said the donation had been agreed on at the November school AGM. She said the school was struggling financially as it was meant to have 1,500 learners but had 2,000.

Equal Education Law Centre attorney Pila-sande Mkuzo said all learners should get free textbooks and stationery.

“We cannot ignore the reality of many township and rural schools regarding poor funding and lack of resources. While this may be the reality, schools are not allowed by law to force parents to pay a ‘voluntary’ contribution,” she said.

© 2025 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: distribution, Education, Facebook, GroundUp, law, Money, officials, Social Grants, Social Media

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:“Horny” Judge Asked Secretary for Sex, Judicial Conduct Tribunal Hears
Next Post:Let’s Make 2025 the Year of “Mental Help”

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. roma kabuki

    21 January 2025 at 10:19 am

    If you love yourself, dare not to take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time

  2. Coldy

    21 January 2025 at 7:24 am

    Babbelas – hangover [bub-ba-las] This word is derived from the Zulu ‘ibhabhalazi’ and is used to describe a really bad hangover.Example: “Eish, babbelas my bru!”

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust