• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Lusikisiki mass murder suspect abandons bail

Lusikisiki mass murder suspect abandons bail

16 October 2024 by Guest

Lusikisiki mass murder suspect abandons bail

A 45-year-old man suspected of the murder of 18 people in the Eastern Cape has abandoned his bail application in the Lusikisiki Magistrates’ Court in the Eastern Cape.

Siphosoxolo Myekethe – who was on parole during his arrest – appeared in the court on Tuesday. 

“During his brief appearance, he informed the court that he would not be applying for bail, which the prosecution had already indicated it would be opposing. 

“Myekethe has two previous convictions for escaping from lawful custody and murder,” National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, Luxolo Tyali, said.

Tyali said the case has been postponed to 26 November 2024 for further investigation, as “there are outstanding suspects on the matter”. 

“He is facing 18 charges of murder and one count of possession of an unlicensed firearm, an AK47 assault rifle. 

“The accused was arrested on 7 October 2024 at his home in Mthide location… in the district of Lusikisiki. 

“His arrest comes after the shooting that occurred on 28 September 2024, at two neighbouring homesteads in Ngobozana village near the town of Lusikisiki. Eighteen people were killed, and five others were injured,” Tyali said. 

Cabinet has condemned the mass shooting and welcomed the progress made in the case.

“Cabinet has welcomed the swift deployment of a team of specialist law enforcement officers — whose work is already bearing fruits — to investigate these shooting incidents, with one suspect, who is directly linked to the murder of 18 people in Lusikisiki, having already appeared in court,” Cabinet said in a statement on Thursday.

READ | Cabinet welcomes crime fighting efforts 

Myekethe made a first appearance in the Lusikisiki Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday in connection with the massacre.

President Cyril Ramaphosa  had previously also conveyed his condolences to the families of the 18 people killed last month. – SAnews.gov.za

NeoB
Wed, 10/16/2024 – 09:11

13 views

Wednesday, October 16, 2024

A 45-year-old man suspected of the murder of 18 people in the Eastern Cape has abandoned his bail application in the Lusikisiki Magistrates’ Court in the Eastern Cape.

Siphosoxolo Myekethe – who was on parole during his arrest – appeared in the court on Tuesday. 

“During his brief appearance, he informed the court that he would not be applying for bail, which the prosecution had already indicated it would be opposing. 

“Myekethe has two previous convictions for escaping from lawful custody and murder,” National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson, Luxolo Tyali, said.

Tyali said the case has been postponed to 26 November 2024 for further investigation, as “there are outstanding suspects on the matter”. 

“He is facing 18 charges of murder and one count of possession of an unlicensed firearm, an AK47 assault rifle. 

“The accused was arrested on 7 October 2024 at his home in Mthide location… in the district of Lusikisiki. 

“His arrest comes after the shooting that occurred on 28 September 2024, at two neighbouring homesteads in Ngobozana village near the town of Lusikisiki. Eighteen people were killed, and five others were injured,” Tyali said. 

Cabinet has condemned the mass shooting and welcomed the progress made in the case.

“Cabinet has welcomed the swift deployment of a team of specialist law enforcement officers — whose work is already bearing fruits — to investigate these shooting incidents, with one suspect, who is directly linked to the murder of 18 people in Lusikisiki, having already appeared in court,” Cabinet said in a statement on Thursday.

READ | Cabinet welcomes crime fighting efforts 

Myekethe made a first appearance in the Lusikisiki Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday in connection with the massacre.

President Cyril Ramaphosa  had previously also conveyed his condolences to the families of the 18 people killed last month. – SAnews.gov.za

Share this post:

SAnews Facebook
SAnews Twitter
SAnews WhatsApp
SAnews Email


Watch a Lusikisiki mass murder suspect abandons bail related video:

Stunning South Africa:

https://cdn.24.co.za/files/Cms/General/d/12307/5e88c10eeb3242bbac6cc7c86a046655.jpg

Have you visited MyPR?

MyPR.co.za offers free to publish press releases for your news site, blog or offline publication. Use the handy REPUBLISH facility or the Full Text RSS Feeds or just copy and paste.

Straton Electrical | Straton Solar | Straton Prepaid | Straton Plumbing | Straton IoT | Straton eBikes | BA Systems | Mbane Contracting | Reach Trust

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Africa, Cabinet, Connection, Eastern Cape, law, Lusikisiki, Man, ONE, Ramaphosa, SA News, South Africa, Video

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:T20 Knockout Semifinals 2024/25: Storm to Face Heat, Tuskers Host Badgers
Next Post:SARS grants special permission for importation of jet fuel

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Sprkr

    16 October 2024 at 9:49 am

    Fun South African Fact: The Bloukrans Bridge, Western Cape, is the highest commercial natural bungee jump in the world.

  2. Romance Guppy

    16 October 2024 at 9:49 am

    Fun South African Fact: The South African Rovos Rail is considered the most luxurious train in the world.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust