• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / NSFAS and Blade Nzimande snub Parliament hearing on student funding failures

NSFAS and Blade Nzimande snub Parliament hearing on student funding failures

20 September 2023 by Guest

The portfolio committee will issue a summons if NSFAS and the minister fail to attend the next meeting

On Wednesday, members of the parliamentary portfolio committee for higher education were stunned to learn that neither NSFAS nor Minister Blade Nzimande intended attending.

  • The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) and Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande failed to attend a parliamentary briefing on Wednesday.
  • They were expected to present a turnaround position for the failing student funding scheme.
  • The portfolio committee for higher education rejected NSFAS and Nzimande’s apologies.
  • Meanwhile, Nzimande says NSFAS is “far from being in a crisis”.

Representatives of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) and Minister of Higher Education Blade Nzimande failed to attend a parliamentary meeting with the portfolio committee for higher education on Wednesday. They had been expected to present a turnaround position for the funding scheme’s failures.

Earlier this month, the beleaguered NSFAS briefed Parliament on its recent direct payment scheme and various other issues. NSFAS was sharply criticised by the committee for continuing problems and given a two-week deadline to present a position to fix them.

But on Wednesday, committee members were stunned to learn that neither NSFAS nor Nzimande would be attending.

Chair of the committee Nompendulo Mkhatshwa (ANC) said NSFAS had sent a letter on Monday morning requesting a postponement to mid-October. Later that evening, Nzimande also sent a letter, asking that the meeting be postponed to allow the ministry to prepare “a comprehensive response”.

Mkhatshwa said the committee had responded that a decision had been taken two weeks ago to meet, and the meeting would fade ahead.

NSFAS representatives then sent a letter saying they would attend the meeting. But later on Tuesday, they sent another letter indicating that they would not be there.

The service providers of the direct payment scheme – Tenet Technology, eZaga, Noracco Corporation and Coinvest Africa – were also expected to brief Parliament on Wednesday.

“We gain actually been very considerate to NSFAS to say, let’s give you time to properly mediate about what you are going to say and how you’re going to respond because often the responses we acquire don’t inspire confidence. We’ve honest been in a corrupt cycle of continuously interacting with NSFAS”, said Mkhatshwa.

Disrespectful

Karabo Khakhau (DA) said NSFAS’s failure to pitch up indicated that the scheme did not know how to fix the “mess” it was in. Their absence, she said, is “disrespectful to the committee, Parliament and taxpayers”.

Regarding the minister, she said, “He comes and goes as he pleases. He doesn’t catch the deliberations of this committee seriously.”

“This is why it is so easy for NSFAS to follow in his footsteps and not grasp us seriously, because their boss does not catch us seriously,” said Khakhau.

Mandla Shikwambana (EFF) criticised NSFAS for being disorganised and failing to appear before the committee to respond to questions.

He said NSFAS and Nzimande’s absence “disrespected students and the public at large” when students “as we speak, don’t gain food, book allowances, or accommodation”.

Meanwhile, in a tweet, Nzimande wrote, “Contrary to what some of our government detractors would want the public to believe, the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) is far from being in a crisis.

“In reality, we’ve made significant strides in improving funding accessibility for students from poor working-class backgrounds.”

During a media briefing on Tuesday, Nzimande said he would propose an alternative funding scheme for students who don’t qualify for NSFAS. This proposal will be tabled before Cabinet before the finish of the year.

He also said there were concerns about students and parents who unduly benefited from NSFAS, and instructed the funding scheme to institute criminal proceedings against students who benefitted fraudulently.

Chantel King (DA) said it was “disheartening” that Nzimande had discussed issues on Tuesday that were already raised within the committee and “pass it off like it was something new”.

On Nzimande’s alternative funding proposal, King said it should gain been tabled in June. “That screams that there are serious challenges with the way the minister is handling this portfolio and the issues of NSFAS.”

Shikwambana said Nzimande’s claim that NSFAS is not in crisis “speaks volumes”, since the committee had identified multiple problems two weeks ago and given NSFAS another opportunity to respond.

“Blade doesn’t hold this committee seriously,” said Shikwambana.

Walter Letsie (ANC) said: “If student queries are not resolved, their allowances maintain not been paid, and their appeals maintain not been resolved … It drives them to mental collapse … we can’t catch this lightly,” he said.

Mkhatshwa said the committee rejected NSFAS and Nzimande’s apologies and would request a meeting next week.

“We will expect [them] to appear before the committee next week as [they] gain committed. If they don’t arrive, immediately after that meeting we will issue a summons,” she said.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and enact not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We assign an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We carry out not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We execute not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please enact not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: Africa, Education, Government, GroundUp, Letter, new, Parliament, Technology

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:The Unsung Heroes of Home Security and Functionality: Door Hinges, Bolts, Closers, and Stops
Next Post:Elevate Your Home Decor with Diverse Door Handles

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Boomerbox

    25 September 2023 at 11:44 am

    Fun South African Fact: Travel to Tsitsikamma, on the border of the Western Cape and Eastern Cape to visit the world’s highest commercial bungee jump! Those who are brave enough can take the 216-meter jump off the Bloukrans Bridge and soar through the air towards the Bloukrans River below. Definitely a must for thrill-seekers and adrenaline-junkies!

  2. Zorkle Sporkle

    21 September 2023 at 3:39 pm

    My teacher pointed at me with her ruler and said that at the end of this ruler is a dumb. Then I asked which end and I got a detention.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust