• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Provincial departments commit to remove bottlenecks in housing delivery

Provincial departments commit to remove bottlenecks in housing delivery

18 September 2023 by Guest

Provincial departments commit to remove bottlenecks in housing delivery

Human Settlements provincial departments have committed to remove bottlenecks that may result in project delays and blocked projects in housing delivery.

The provincial departments made the commitment during a meeting between Human Settlements Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi and Members of the Executive Council (MINMEC) of Human Settlements, Members of the Mayoral Councils (MMCs) of Human Settlements and Executive Mayors held at Bojanala Platinum District, North West, on Friday.

The meeting heard that from a target of 300 000, the sector is at 69.5% delivery, with 208 358 fully subsidised houses on the ground. 

Kubayi said this is no mean feat in the face of budget cuts the department has faced. 

She said about 172 066 serviced sites have been delivered from a projected number of 190 437. 

“First home finance has surpassed the 20 000 units mark, as targeted in 2019. To date, there are 22 035 units that have been delivered. The current delivery is against the budget cuts the Department of Human Settlements has faced over the years. 

“We are making inroads in ensuring that we bring more people into the housing market and thereby assisting the so-called ‘missing middle’ with home ownership,” Kubayi said.

The MINMEC received a report on the current fiscal environment and reflected on the response by the human settlements sector. 

While the sector understands and supports the efforts by the Finance Minister to stabilise the fiscus, MINMEC emphasised the need to find a balance between service delivery priorities and fiscal consolidation.

It was noted that the sector has so far had a mixed bag of performance during the Medium-Term Strategic Framework (MTSF) for 2019 – 2024 period. 

However, for the current financial year, concerns were raised about provincial spending, and provinces were urged to deliver in accordance with their business plans or face redirection of funds to performing provinces. 

The sector is currently at 32% spending, with eight months left in the financial year.

The meeting also noted major improvements made by the human settlements sector in ensuring that all claims are paid within 30 days. 

With the mandatory allocation of 40% set aside for first quarter performance, the provincial departments were acknowledged for making improvements in ensuring the budgets and contracts are set aside for businesses and companies owned by women, youth and people with disabilities.

Over 100 houses handed over to beneficiaries 

Meanwhile, ahead of the meeting, the department handed over house keys to beneficiaries of Moses Kotane Community Residential Units (CRU) – one of the affordable rental housing projects in the North West.

The CRUs include 110 units with bachelor and two-bedroom rental accommodations. It supports the upgrading of government-owned communal rental accommodation. 

As one of the departmental housing programmes, the CRUs are aimed at facilitating the provision of secure and stable rental tenure for lower income earners. – SAnews.gov.za

 

GabiK
Mon, 09/18/2023 – 10:44

36 views

Human Settlements provincial departments gain committed to remove bottlenecks that may result in project delays and blocked projects in housing delivery.

The provincial departments made the commitment during a meeting between Human Settlements Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi and Members of the Executive Council (MINMEC) of Human Settlements, Members of the Mayoral Councils (MMCs) of Human Settlements and Executive Mayors held at Bojanala Platinum District, North West, on Friday.

The meeting heard that from a target of 300 000, the sector is at 69.5% delivery, with 208 358 fully subsidised houses on the ground. 

Kubayi said this is no mean feat in the face of budget cuts the department has faced. 

She said about 172 066 serviced sites acquire been delivered from a projected number of 190 437. 

“First home finance has surpassed the 20 000 units impress, as targeted in 2019. To date, there are 22 035 units that gain been delivered. The current delivery is against the budget cuts the Department of Human Settlements has faced over the years. 

“We are making inroads in ensuring that we bring more people into the housing market and thereby assisting the so-called ‘missing middle’ with home ownership,” Kubayi said.

The MINMEC received a report on the current fiscal environment and reflected on the response by the human settlements sector. 

While the sector understands and supports the efforts by the Finance Minister to stabilise the fiscus, MINMEC emphasised the need to find a balance between service delivery priorities and fiscal consolidation.

It was noted that the sector has so far had a mixed bag of performance during the Medium-Term Strategic Framework (MTSF) for 2019 – 2024 period. 

However, for the current financial year, concerns were raised about provincial spending, and provinces were urged to deliver in accordance with their business plans or face redirection of funds to performing provinces. 

The sector is currently at 32% spending, with eight months left in the financial year.

The meeting also noted major improvements made by the human settlements sector in ensuring that all claims are paid within 30 days. 

With the imperative allocation of 40% set aside for first quarter performance, the provincial departments were acknowledged for making improvements in ensuring the budgets and contracts are set aside for businesses and companies owned by women, youth and people with disabilities.

Over 100 houses handed over to beneficiaries 

Meanwhile, ahead of the meeting, the department handed over house keys to beneficiaries of Moses Kotane Community Residential Units (CRU) – one of the affordable rental housing projects in the North West.

The CRUs include 110 units with bachelor and two-bedroom rental accommodations. It supports the upgrading of government-owned communal rental accommodation. 

As one of the departmental housing programmes, the CRUs are aimed at facilitating the provision of secure and stable rental tenure for lower income earners. – SAnews.gov.za

Read More at the Source

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Budget, business, Environment, Government, North West, ONE, SA News

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Kwikspace Achieves Level 1 B-BBEE Rating, Bolstering Commitment to Transformation
Next Post:A Short History of the Men’s Cricket World Cup

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Gunhawk

    19 September 2023 at 10:01 pm

    Fun South African Fact: The Karoo region in the Western Cape is home to some of the best fossils of early dinosaurs. In fact, it is estimated that some 80% of the mammalian fossils found to date were found in the Karoo.

  2. Cumulo

    18 September 2023 at 11:29 am

    Fun South African Fact: South African fish migration is so huge you can see it from space.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust