• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / R2.1bn paid to N West workers affected by COVID pandemic

R2.1bn paid to N West workers affected by COVID pandemic

28 June 2023 by AMC

The Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) has since March 2020 to date paid out R2.1 billion to 457 546 workers in the North West province as part of its COVID-19 Temporary Employer-Employee Relief Scheme (COVID-19 TERS).

The Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) has since March 2020 to date paid out R2.1 billion to 457 546 workers in the North West province as fragment of its COVID-19 Temporary Employer-Employee Relief Scheme (COVID-19 TERS).

In a statement on Wednesday, the Department of Employment and Labour said the UIF also paid out a separate amount of R601 million to 139 629 workers and their beneficiaries as normal benefits related to either unemployment, maternity, illness or death over the 2022/23 financial year.

These details were revealed on Tuesday during a media briefing hosted by the UIF in Klerksdorp.

Speaking at the briefing, UIF Provincial Support Director, Allan Ragavaloo, said the R2.1 billion disbursed to workers in the North West province arose from 6 963 COVID-19 TERS applications the UIF received from employers.

The top 10 sectors that received the lion’s share of the R2.1 billion are mining, personal services, trade, construction, banking, professional services, iron, agriculture, educational, and charities.

To date, Ragavaloo said, R64 billion has been paid out to at least five million workers nationally through COVID-19 TERS.

Meanwhile, Smiso Nkosi, a Manager in the UIF Commissioner’s office, told journalists that Forensic Auditors of the UIF are continuing to audit companies in the province as well as around the country to ensure that the correct amounts of COVID-19 TERS monies were paid over to workers at the proper time.

Thus far, he said R17.5 billion from the R64 billion paid to date through COVID-19 TERS was audited and verified as correct payments.

However, the audits also discovered instances of fraud, for example where employers applied for ghost employees, applications with inflated salaries, applications for terminated employees and applications by companies that were essential services who did not qualify because they were permitted to operate during the COVID-19 lockdowns.

Nkosi said measures are being implemented to deal with employers who refused to cooperate with “follow the money” auditors. These include:

  • Referral to the Special Investigating Unit and Directorate for Priority  Crime Investigation (HAWKS) for criminal investigation;
  • Refunding of all COVID-19 TERS funds;
  • Blocking employers from the UIF’s service offerings; and
  • Blacklisting employers from doing business with the UIF.
     

“The Asset Forfeiture Unit of the National Prosecuting Authority has been helping us to attach and sell off assets that are proceeds of crime, to recover money that was stolen from the UIF,” he said.

Bernice Matlhako, from the UIF’s Risk and Fraud Unit in North West province, revealed that more than 20 suspects had been arrested through joint investigations for COVID-19 TERS-related fraud. The matters are all still before the courts. 

According to Matlhako, the UIF is taking disciplinary action against officials who are implicated in fraud cases as well as those who are alleged to be soliciting bribes from clients to expedite claims at labour centres in the province.

To date, she said, two officials were dismissed, while another two are on suspension. A further five officials are currently undergoing disciplinary hearings.

“We believe a no-tolerance approach when it comes to fraud and corruption at the UIF and this is evident in how we deal with such matters,” Matlhako stressed.

Clients or members of the public are urged to report any corrupt activities or fraud on the UIF Fraud Hotline: 0800 601 148 or to the Department of Employment & Labour hotline: 0860 666 883.

The UIF is an entity of the Department of Employment and Labour mandated to provide short-term financial relief benefits to qualifying and contributing workers and their beneficiaries. – SAnews.gov.za

Read More at the Source

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: MyPR, News, Public Relations

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About AMC

Previous Post:Two very different versions of shooting being argued in court
Next Post:Altering hours of work constitutes unfair labour practice

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Universe Bullet

    28 June 2023 at 10:25 pm

    Van der Merwe was watching a rugby test against the British Lions at Loftus Versfeld stadium in Pretoria. In the packed stadium, there was only one empty seat – next to Van der Merwe.

    \”Who does that seat belong to?\” asked his neighbour.

    \”It\’s for my wife.\”

    \”But why isn\’t she here?\”

    \”She died.\”

    \”So why didn\’t you give the ticket to one of your friends?\”

    \”They\’ve all gone to the funeral.\”

  2. Stud Buster

    28 June 2023 at 10:24 pm

    Fun South African Fact: The world’s largest visible crater is in South Africa.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust