• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Termination of Zimbabwean Exemption Permit declared unlawful, unconstitutional and invalid

Termination of Zimbabwean Exemption Permit declared unlawful, unconstitutional and invalid

29 June 2023 by Alan

Full bench of Pretoria High Court directs Home Affairs minister to conduct a fair process in reconsidering the end of the permits

There are nearly 180,000 Zimbabweans in South Africa with Zimbabwe Exemption Permits who were facing an uncertain future.

  • The decision by the Minister of Home Affairs to terminate the Zimbabwean Exemption Permit (ZEP) has been declared unlawful, unconstitutional and invalid.
  • The Pretoria High Court has directed the minister to reconsider the issue “following a honest process”.
  • The ZEP is extended until the pause of June 2024.

The decision by the Minister of Home Affairs to terminate the Zimbabwean Exemption Permit programme has been declared unlawful, unconstitutional and invalid.

Three judges, sitting as a full bench in the Pretoria High Court, gain directed the minister to reconsider the issue “following a objective process” that complies with the relevant laws.

Pending the outcome of that process, the permits will remain valid for another 12 months (until the conclude of June 2024), and ZEP-holders maintain protection from arrest and deportation.

The case was brought by the Helen Suzman Foundation and the Consortium for Refugees and Migrants in South Africa after the minister announced the terminate of the programme in 2021.

Subsequently he granted further extensions but remained stubborn that the 178,000 permit holders must either apply for other visas, if they qualified for them, or return “home”.

Read the judgment here

In the much anticipated ruling on Wednesday, judges Colleen Collis, Gcina Malindi and Mandlenkosi Motha (writing as the court) said the minister had made no attempt to entreat representations from those affected before he took the decision.

The first call for representations had been done “after the fact” and was not a “genuine consultation”.

The invitation was “meaningless”, they wrote.

“By way of illustration, a ZEP-holder, Ms Maliwa, sent an email to the designated address imploring the Minister to ‘Please consider giving us another four years. We gain nowhere to stay in Zim and no work.’

“To this email the minister’s attorneys responded that … the minister is unable to reverse the decision.”

The judges said throughout the answering affidavit (deposed to by the director-general of the department) there was a “notable detest for the value of public participation”.

The judges said the minister’s failure to consult, rendered the decision to terminate the programme procedurally unfair and irrational.

They said no attempt was made to assess the impact on ZEP holders and their children.

“As a decision of this effect impacts over 178,000 permit holders, it would gain required proper information on who would be affected, to what degree and what measures were in plot to ameliorate this impact.

“It further requires a careful assessment of the current conditions in Zimbabwe.

“Before this court, there is simply no admissible evidence from the Minister on whether he took these considerations into account and how.”

This was borne out by the fact that the director-general and the minister had been “entirely silent” on the impact on families and children in the court papers and in press statements.

The minister had also “flatly refused” to engage with any representations from the Scalabrini Centre, saying “there is no scope for reconsideration”.

On this basis, again, the decision had to be reviewed and set aside.

The minister had also not placed any facts before the court showing that he had consulted on conditions in Zimbabwe.

The judges said the decision was also an “unjustified” limitation of rights, and therefore must be reviewed and set aside in terms of the Promotion of Administration of Justice Act (PAJA).

The judges said their order would preserve the status quo pending the outcome of a unbiased process and the minister’s further decision.

They ordered that the minister pay the costs of the application.

The judges handed down a separate ruling in a matter they heard at the same time as the Helen Suzman case. This was brought by the Zimbabwean Immigration Federation for an interdict, stopping any action being taken against ZEP holders, pending a review of the minister’s decision.

The judges granted the interdict.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and execute not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We establish an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We finish not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We enact not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please carry out not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: GroundUp, News

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Altering hours of work constitutes unfair labour practice
Next Post:Diepsloot community has lost confidence in police

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Twinkle Cutlass

    29 June 2023 at 7:26 am

    Van der Merwe goes to Paris to watch the Boks take on the Brits at the world cup.

    Whilst in Paris, he walks around, gaping and staring at everything – so much so that he walks smack bang into a fire hydrant which hits him so hard on the family jewels that he has to be rushed to hospital where the doctors tell him they have to remove his testicles.

    Van goes berserk, he bites and snarls at every one and he won\’t let anybody within 10 metres of him. Eventually they find a South African doctor in the hospital and get him to talk to Van.

    He walks up to Van and tells him \”Hey Van, die ouens moet jou knaters uithaal.\”

    Van replies \”O, okay, ek dog die bliksems wil my test tickets vat.\”

  2. ZenaCake

    29 June 2023 at 7:24 am

    What do you call an Afrikaans guy that squeezes chickens?

    Hendrik.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust