• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Three more G4S prison officials in court for aiding Thabo Bester’s escape

Three more G4S prison officials in court for aiding Thabo Bester’s escape

28 June 2023 by Alan

All 11 suspects are expected back in court in August for start of the main criminal trial

Former G4S prison officials, Joel Makhetha, Moeketsi Ramolula and Thabang Mier were in the dock at the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court on Wednesday. They face charges of assisting Thabo Bester escape from Mangaung Correctional Centre in May.

Three more G4S prison officials made a brief appearance in the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court on Tuesday after their arrest earlier this week. This brings the number of people on trial for Thabo Bester’s escape to 11.

The three modern accused are due back in court on 3 July for the state to choose whether or not it will oppose bail.

The three men acquire been added to the main prison escape matter. They will join Bester, Nandipha Magudumana, and seven others co-accused for the start of the criminal trial on 8 August.

Thabang Mier faces a charge of aiding an inmate’s escape, while Joel Makheta and Moeketsi Ramolula face charges related to the violation of a body, aiding an inmate’s escape, and corruption. All three were suspended by G4S earlier this year. Mier was a supervision officer and Ramolula was a custody officer at the prison.

Mier was represented by Advocate Themba Diba, who is also representing Zolile Sekeleni, Nandipha Magudumana’s father. Makhetha is represented by attorney Tshope Thusi and Ramolula is represented by Sthembile Mbuthu from Legal Aid.

Outside court, one of Mier’s relatives told GroundUp that the family was devastated. The relative said Mier’s mother was hospitalised after the shocking news of his arrest.

On 20 June, the escape trial was postponed to August to allow police to conduct further investigation. The eleven suspects face a total of 16 charges. Two of the accused — Nastassja Jansen and Zolile Sekeleni — maintain been released on bail while the others remain in custody. Magudumana and Bester did not formally apply for bail.

Bester escaped from Mangaung Correctional Centre, a private prison rush by G4S, by faking his own death in a fire in his cell. The state maintains that the prison officials who acquire been arrested all played a crucial role in aiding his escape. At least R150,000 exchanged hands between Bester, Magudumana and some of the prison officials in the days before and after the escape, according to the state.

© 2023 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and enact not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We place an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We carry out not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We carry out not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please execute not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: GroundUp, News

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Alan

Previous Post:Fedhealth MTB Challenge ENTRIES OPEN with the announcement of an exciting RECENT VENUE in 2023
Next Post:South Africa’s ageing infrastructure hinders economic growth potential, but DUCAT Trading paves the way for optimised logistics solutions

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Whipsaw

    31 July 2023 at 2:00 am

    China: You have two cows. You post their pics all over social media, then sell people fake milk.

  2. Trixiephany

    12 July 2023 at 1:48 am

    Shebeen – an unlicensed bar [sha-been] These are unlicensed bars usually found in low-income suburbs located outside of the major towns and cities, more commonly known as ‘the townships’.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust