• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / A Week Later, Cape Town Fire Victims Still Wait for Relief

A Week Later, Cape Town Fire Victims Still Wait for Relief

23 January 2025 by Guest

SASSA says City only sent details of affected residents on Wednesday this week

Victims of a fire in Kosovo informal settlement have started clearing the areas where their homes once stood. Their homes were destroyed last week, but they are yet to receive relief assistance from government.

Residents of Kosovo informal settlement in Samora Machel, Cape Town have been battling to put their lives back together since their homes were destroyed in a fire last week.

More than 100 shacks were destroyed, leaving about 500 people destitute after losing all their belongings, including school uniforms and supplies. It was the second fire to ravage the settlement in less than a month.

But more than a week later, families are still waiting for help from the City of Cape Town and the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA).

SASSA Western Cape manager Shivani Wahab said the City only notified the agency of the incident on Wednesday this week. Relief, in the form of a once-off payment, should be issued soon.

Wahab said SASSA relies on the City’s data collected from fire victims.

Since the fire, many people have been sorting through their charred belongings to salvage and rebuild their homes.

Resident Pumlani Ncedo said a few years ago, it was easier for fire victims when the City gave building material, but this was stopped due to budgetary constraints. This has led to many fire victims using burnt corrugated iron sheets to rebuild their shacks, he said.

Another fire victim, Thamsanqa Grootboom, said they spent “days in the cold because we did not have material to rebuild our homes”.

“We were assured that we will be provided with building material but that did not materialise. A week later we have not been helped,” said Grootboom.

Ali Sablay from the Gift of the Givers said they went to assist Kosovo residents soon after the blaze, providing meals, blankets and mats. “We are currently engaged with the community. Once the structures are up, we will provide each family with a hamper,” said Sablay.

Last week, Disaster Risk Management Centre spokesperson Charlotte Powell said, “Assessments are still underway to determine the number of persons affected. Once the assessments are completed, information is relayed to SASSA and the National Department of Human Settlements.”

Powell said officials compiled a list of fire victims but community leaders asked that submission of the list be delayed because some people whose shack’s burnt had not yet returned from holiday.

© 2025 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: African, Cape Town, data, Family, Government, GroundUp, officials, Western Cape

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Minister Meth stresses collaboration with Labour Federations for fair policies, effective enforcement
Next Post:High Court Judgement on Firearm Import Rules Welcomed

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Jester

    25 January 2025 at 6:50 pm

    The wonder of a man with a running stomach is that he knows the direction of the door without anybody’s guidance.

  2. Lumberyard

    23 January 2025 at 5:34 pm

    My teacher pointed at me with her ruler and said that at the end of this ruler is a dumb. Then I asked which end and I got a detention.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust