• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Deputy Minister refutes claims of idle Firefighting vehicles at centurion fire station

Deputy Minister refutes claims of idle Firefighting vehicles at centurion fire station

18 February 2025 by Guest

Deputy Minister refutes claims of idle Firefighting vehicles at centurion fire station

Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Deputy Minister Bernice Swarts has refuted claims that firefighting vehicles procured by the department are sitting idle in depots across the country instead of being deployed for active service.

On Monday, the Deputy Minister visited the Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality’s Fire Station in Centurion to inspect the firefighting vehicles stored there by the department.

According to a statement issued by the department, the vehicles were procured for use by a service provider in the implementation of the Working on Fire Programme. However, the Auditor-General of South Africa (AGSA) found that service providers were expected to use their own resources to execute bid-related objectives under the current five-year contract, which commenced on 6 January 2023.

Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality is among the municipalities earmarked to receive these firefighting vehicles once the transfer process is finalised.

The Deputy Minister’s visit follows media reports alleging that the vehicles are being left unused instead of being deployed for firefighting efforts. 

Additionally, there were claims that no DFFE firefighting vehicles were parked at the Tshwane Fire Station and that some vehicles stored at other municipal fire stations had been stripped of key components, such as batteries.

“The purpose of my visit to Tshwane Fire Station in Centurion was to verify the presence and condition of our firefighting vehicles. I can confirm that nine firefighting vehicles are parked here and that they have not been vandalised, contrary to some reports,” the Deputy Minister said.

She further dismissed claims that the vehicles had been unused for more than two years.

“These vehicles arrived at Tshwane Fire Station in November 2024. Any suggestion that they have been sitting idle for two years is incorrect,” she clarified.

The Deputy Minister acknowledged the challenges faced by Fire Protection Associations (FPAs) due to the repossession of vehicles from the service provider, Kishugu. She reassured FPAs and forestry stakeholders that the department was working to expedite the transfer of the vehicles to municipalities.

“I recognise the challenges that Fire Protection Associations have faced due to this transition. I, however, commit to ensuring that the process to transfer these firefighting vehicles to the respective municipalities is expedited so that these vehicles can go back to work and assist FPAs to attend to veld fire incidents in our communities. 

“Having said that, we must also afford municipalities the opportunity to follow their internal processes – including coming up with Council resolutions – regarding the transfer of these firefighting vehicles,” Swarts added.

In total, DFFE has reclaimed 283 firefighting vehicles from Kishugu. Of these, 107 are earmarked to be transferred to various municipalities in the country. 

The remaining 176 vehicles are used by the department’s internal forestry branch to manage fires in DFFE plantations across the country. – SAnews.gov.za

 

DikelediM
Tue, 02/18/2025 – 09:41
80 views

Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment Deputy Minister Bernice Swarts has refuted claims that firefighting vehicles procured by the department are sitting idle in depots across the country instead of being deployed for active service.

On Monday, the Deputy Minister visited the Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality’s Fire Station in Centurion to inspect the firefighting vehicles stored there by the department.

According to a statement issued by the department, the vehicles were procured for use by a service provider in the implementation of the Working on Fire Programme. However, the Auditor-General of South Africa (AGSA) found that service providers were expected to use their own resources to execute bid-related objectives under the current five-year contract, which commenced on 6 January 2023.

Tshwane Metropolitan Municipality is among the municipalities earmarked to receive these firefighting vehicles once the transfer process is finalised.

The Deputy Minister’s visit follows media reports alleging that the vehicles are being left unused instead of being deployed for firefighting efforts. 

Additionally, there were claims that no DFFE firefighting vehicles were parked at the Tshwane Fire Station and that some vehicles stored at other municipal fire stations had been stripped of key components, such as batteries.

“The purpose of my visit to Tshwane Fire Station in Centurion was to verify the presence and condition of our firefighting vehicles. I can confirm that nine firefighting vehicles are parked here and that they have not been vandalised, contrary to some reports,” the Deputy Minister said.

She further dismissed claims that the vehicles had been unused for more than two years.

“These vehicles arrived at Tshwane Fire Station in November 2024. Any suggestion that they have been sitting idle for two years is incorrect,” she clarified.

The Deputy Minister acknowledged the challenges faced by Fire Protection Associations (FPAs) due to the repossession of vehicles from the service provider, Kishugu. She reassured FPAs and forestry stakeholders that the department was working to expedite the transfer of the vehicles to municipalities.

“I recognise the challenges that Fire Protection Associations have faced due to this transition. I, however, commit to ensuring that the process to transfer these firefighting vehicles to the respective municipalities is expedited so that these vehicles can go back to work and assist FPAs to attend to veld fire incidents in our communities. 

“Having said that, we must also afford municipalities the opportunity to follow their internal processes – including coming up with Council resolutions – regarding the transfer of these firefighting vehicles,” Swarts added.

In total, DFFE has reclaimed 283 firefighting vehicles from Kishugu. Of these, 107 are earmarked to be transferred to various municipalities in the country. 

The remaining 176 vehicles are used by the department’s internal forestry branch to manage fires in DFFE plantations across the country. – SAnews.gov.za


Watch a Deputy Minister refutes claims of idle Firefighting vehicles at centurion fire station related video:

Stunning South Africa:

Have you visited MyPR?

MyPR.co.za offers free to publish press releases for your news site, blog or offline publication. Use the handy REPUBLISH facility or the Full Text RSS Feeds or just copy and paste.

Straton Electrical | Straton Solar | Straton Prepaid | Straton Plumbing | Straton IoT | Straton eBikes | BA Systems | Mbane Contracting | Reach Trust

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Africa, Environment, Fires, provider, SA News, South Africa, Tshwane, Video

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Enhancing Office Spaces With Vinyl Frosting: A Stylish and Functional Solution
Next Post:What to Expect From the 2025 Budget Speech

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Lord Nikon

    18 February 2025 at 10:44 am

    Fun South African Fact: There are more than 2000 shipwrecks off the South African coast, most dating back at least 500 years.

  2. Sepukku

    18 February 2025 at 10:44 am

    The cab driver feels compelled to flesh the story out, as its just the husband he\’s talking to.

    \”yeah I remember that last shore leave in Johannesburg, me and the lads gagging for some action, end up in a dive bar and met this girl, we got a room and she was the the worst fuck I\’ve ever had!\”

    The wife says \”what did he say?\”.

    Husband \”the cab driver he says he might know you!\”

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust