• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Injured Mister Sweet Workers Yet to Be Compensated

Injured Mister Sweet Workers Yet to Be Compensated

7 November 2024 by Guest

Casual worker claims he did not get any training before he got the job

Workers on strike at Premier’s Mister Sweet factory picketed outside the Department of Labour’s office in Germiston last month to demand a report following an inspection by an official.

  • Casual workers who sustained serious injuries while filling in for striking workers at Premier’s Mister Sweet factory are worried they may never be compensated.
  • The 11-week strike ended on 1 November.
  • GroundUp spoke to one of the workers whose finger was cut off. He claims he received no formal training for the job.
  • The company has denied that the casual workers were experienced or that they were not trained.
  • The injuries are still under investigation by the labour department.

When Premier’s Mister Sweet workers went on strike over two months ago, *Themba was among a group of unemployed people in Germiston who answered the company’s call for temporary workers.

While Themba had no formal training, he says he was happy for the opportunity to earn R3,000 a week. However, just weeks into the job at the factory, one of Themba’s fingers was cut off.

The finger was stitched back, but he says it is no longer useable and often numb.

Now that the strike has ended, Themba is afraid he may never find a job ever again.

“I’m worried that now I’m as good as disabled.” He said the company had rushed him to hospital after the incident and had paid his medical bill but he did not know if he would receive compensation.

He is one of four casual workers, hired through a labour broker, who were badly injured while filling in for the striking workers over the two-month period.

Earlier this week, Premier spokesperson Siobhan O’Sullivan confirmed that the company had reached a settlement with the striking workers, bringing the 11-week strike to an end. Workers are expected to return to work on Monday.

Jacob Potlaki of the Simunye Workers Forum says the injured casual workers are afraid of not being compensated.

During the strike, the forum voiced its concerns about the company’s use of inadequately trained casual workers tasked with operating large machines. Premier has said the casual workers had been trained before starting work, but Themba told GroundUp he had not been trained.

O’Sullivan also said that injuries that occurred during the strike “were not disabling”. She said when an employee, permanent or casual, gets injured, the company follows a “rigorous process” to report and investigate the incident and “manage the affected employee”.

She said Premier contributes to the Workers’ Compensation Fund (COIDA) to ensure that all employees, whether permanent, contract, or casual, are covered for injuries and diseases contracted on duty. Workforce, which which Premier works, is also registered with the fund, she said.

“All the casual workers were provided with Health and Safety Induction to ensure they are made aware of any hazards and risk situations while performing their duties—this includes not working outside of the scope of their work as well as reporting procedures to follow in the event of equipment malfunctions. Informal practical training is also given to our casual workers,” said O’Sullivan, adding that the injuries were being investigated by the labour department.

*Not his real name.

© 2024 GroundUp. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

You may republish this article, so long as you credit the authors and GroundUp, and do not change the text. Please include a link back to the original article.

We put an invisible pixel in the article so that we can count traffic to republishers. All analytics tools are solely on our servers. We do not give our logs to any third party. Logs are deleted after two weeks. We do not use any IP address identifying information except to count regional traffic. We are solely interested in counting hits, not tracking users. If you republish, please do not delete the invisible pixel.

Read More at GroundUp

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, demand, Event, GroundUp, health, Johannesburg, office, ONE

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:Choose the Right Agency for Your Hiring Needs
Next Post:Rand Water and Eskom Restore Power Supply to Affected Palmiet Pumping Station

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. IceDog

    8 November 2024 at 1:26 pm

    Fun South African Fact: South Africa has hosted the football (2010), cricket (2003) and rugby (1995) world cups

  2. Chew Chew

    8 November 2024 at 1:22 pm

    Fun South African Fact: Can you think of any other place in the world where two Nobel Peace Prize winners lived on the same street? Both Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu had houses on Vilakazi Street in Soweto.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust