• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to after header navigation
  • Skip to site footer
MyZA

MyZA

News, Directory, Events and Other Stuff

  • Social Media
  • Sport
  • World News
  • Home
  • Submit News
  • Directory
  • Events
  • Stratlec
  • TFSA
  • News
    • APO
    • Today’s Sport News
    • Todays Social Media and Tech Headlines
    • Today’s World News
    • Today’s SA Financial News
  • Contact
You are here: Home / News / Probe into SANDF deaths

Probe into SANDF deaths

4 March 2024 by Guest

Probe into SANDF deaths

The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has convened a Board of Inquiry with the United Nations Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) to investigate an incident which led to the deaths of two defence force members.

“The incident occurred when one of them [SANDF member] shot and killed the other with their service weapon before turning the weapon on themselves with fatal consequences,” said the SANDF of Thursday’s incident.

In a statement on Friday the defence force said it has convened a Board of Inquiry to work with the MONUSCO command to investigate the incident and the circumstances that led to it.

Meanwhile, Defence and Military Veterans Minister Thandi Modise has expressed her shock at the incident that involved the two officials deployed to the central African country.

The remains of the officials will be repatriated to South Africa in due course and all families have been informed of the unfortunate incident.

Minister Modise, the Deputy Minister Thabang Makwetla, the acting Secretary for Defence, Dr Thobekile Gamede and the Chief of the SANDF, General Rudzani Maphwanya have expressed their condolences to the families of the deceased.

Last month, the SANDF repatriated and officially handed over the mortal remains of Captain Simon Mkhulu Bobe and Lance Corporal Irven Thabang Semono to their families.

Bobe and Semono were killed and three of their colleagues injured in the DRC after a mortar bomb landed inside one of the South African contingency military bases. 

The soldiers were part of the Southern African Development Community Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (SAMIDRC) deployed to support and assist government of the second-largest country in Africa to restore peace, security and stability.  – SAnews.gov.za

Edwin
Mon, 03/04/2024 – 10:17

327 views

Monday, March 4, 2024

The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) has convened a Board of Inquiry with the United Nations Organisation Stabilisation Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (MONUSCO) to investigate an incident which led to the deaths of two defence force members.

“The incident occurred when one of them [SANDF member] shot and killed the other with their service weapon before turning the weapon on themselves with fatal consequences,” said the SANDF of Thursday’s incident.

In a statement on Friday the defence force said it has convened a Board of Inquiry to work with the MONUSCO command to investigate the incident and the circumstances that led to it.

Meanwhile, Defence and Military Veterans Minister Thandi Modise has expressed her shock at the incident that involved the two officials deployed to the central African country.

The remains of the officials will be repatriated to South Africa in due course and all families have been informed of the unfortunate incident.

Minister Modise, the Deputy Minister Thabang Makwetla, the acting Secretary for Defence, Dr Thobekile Gamede and the Chief of the SANDF, General Rudzani Maphwanya have expressed their condolences to the families of the deceased.

Last month, the SANDF repatriated and officially handed over the mortal remains of Captain Simon Mkhulu Bobe and Lance Corporal Irven Thabang Semono to their families.

Bobe and Semono were killed and three of their colleagues injured in the DRC after a mortar bomb landed inside one of the South African contingency military bases. 

The soldiers were part of the Southern African Development Community Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo (SAMIDRC) deployed to support and assist government of the second-largest country in Africa to restore peace, security and stability.  – SAnews.gov.za

Share this post:

SAnews Facebook
SAnews Twitter
SAnews WhatsApp
SAnews Email

Read More at the Source

Share this:

  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
Category: NewsTag: 2024, Africa, African, DRC, Government, ONE, SA News, South Africa

If you feel strongly about this article then feel free to send MyZA a ‘Letter to the Editor’ using the submission form below:


Letter to the Editor

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
If this is in response to an article please include that article title here or as the lead in for the first paragraph of your Letter below.

Separate tags with commas

Localise your letter by naming the city your words are about. Add relevant words describing your subject. Single comma separated words of no more than 5
Your Name(Required)
Your Name will be linked to the website below.
Your personal, business or social media web site
Choose NO to not set up a user account on MyZA. User Accounts will allow you to submit letters under your own Author Name

3 Latest Letters to the Editor:

  • Fun South African fact

    Dear Editor Fun South African fact: towns like Franschhoek and Stellenbosch are home to world-class wine farms set in stunning, scenic surroundings. Regards Aressa Smith In Response to/From: Luxury Properties Seized in New Lottery Crackdown

    27 January 2026
  • Condolences on the Passing of Lusanda Dumke

    Statement by Leander Kruger MPL – DA Buffalo City Constituency Leader: The Democratic Alliance in Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality mourns the passing of Springbok Women’s rugby player and Mdantsane trailblazer, Lusanda Dumke, who lost her battle with cancer at the age of 28. South Africa has lost an exceptional athlete, a leader, and a source…

    17 December 2025
  • Rape Kits Delivered, But…

    Statement by Nicholas Gotsell MP – DA NCOP Member on Security & Justice: The DA can confirm that 2 840 rape kits arrived in Cape Town on Monday, following sustained DA oversight and pressure after multiple police stations across the Western Cape were found to be without this critical forensic evidence tool. While this delivery…

    17 December 2025

About Guest

Previous Post:About the Speakers Corruption Allegations
Next Post:Large Prize Pool Announced For Rip Curl Surf Events At Port Alfred Easter Festival

Reader Interactions

Comments

  1. Voodoo Cyclone

    4 March 2024 at 7:16 pm

    Is it? – Is that so? [iz-zit] A basic conversational word that can be inserted at various points in any conversation, meaning “oh, wow!” or “Is that so?” It can also be used when you don’t really feel like talking and don’t want to be rude but want to seem as if you’re listening. Example: “Last week we went on a game drive! Sho my bru! We saw loads of antelope!” “Is it, hey!”

  2. Rando Tank

    4 March 2024 at 1:00 pm

    Kazakhstan: You have two cows. They are both better cows than cows from Uzbekistan, who have bones in their brain.

Copyright © 2026 · MyZA · All Rights Reserved · Powered by Reach Trust