Team SA Ready For Inaugural Women’s T20 Cricket At The 13Th African Games
ACCRA: As the excitement builds for the first-ever Women’s T20 Cricket competition at the 13th African Games in Accra, Ghana...
ACCRA: As the excitement builds for the first-ever Women’s T20 Cricket competition at the 13th African Games in Accra, Ghana...
Cameron Green has advanced towards the top 20 in the ICC Men’s Test Batting Rankings after his unbeaten century helped Australia defeat New Zealand by 172 runs in the first Test of their two-match ICC World Test Championship series in Wellington. Green, who was named Player of the Match for his 174 not out in …
JOHANNESBURG: Cricket South Africa (CSA) has congratulated the DP World Lions and Northern Cape Heat, who were crowned champions of...
JOHANNESBURG: Deaf Cricket South Africa (DCSA) has proudly capped their official squad for the much-anticipated DICC T20 World Cup UAE...
KZN continues quest to remain most favoured investment destination
While unemployment figures may cause despair, KwaZulu-Natal Premier, Nomusa Dube-Ncube, says the rate of investment into the province is a sign that tomorrow will be better than today.
“As KwaZulu-Natal, we faced an uphill battle in ensuring that investor confidence is unwavering, despite challenges with load shedding, the civil unrest, ageing utilities' infrastructure, some of which could not withstand the recent floods. Yet we remain determined to continue in our quest to ensure that investors know that KwaZulu-Natal is and remains the most favoured investment destination in Southern Africa,” Dube-Ncube said.
The Premier made the remarks when delivering the State of the Province Address (SOPA) at the Oval Cricket Stadium in Pietermaritzburg on Wednesday.
Dube-Ncube said during the South African Investment Conference (SAIC) held last year, where President Ramaphosa’s target was exceeded by some R306 billion, KwaZulu-Natal’s share included 55 companies in the province, which invested over R300 billion.
Dube-Ncube said some of the investments are located in the province's Special Economic Zones (SEZs), Richards Bay and Dube Trade Port, and around the province.
“Targeted business expansion and retention support activities amounted to over R23 billion, resulting in 37 201 jobs being created. Added to this are investments attracted by Trade and Investment KwaZulu-Natal (TIKZN) over the last two decades, amounting to over R60 billion and creating over 95 000 jobs,” Dube-Ncube said.
The Premier said KwaZulu-Natal is committed to the establishment of new leather and textile Special Economic Zones in the Newcastle and Ladysmith corridor, which are estimated at R600 million.
She said the two new SEZs will add to the two provincial SEZs of Dube Trade Port and Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone (RBIDZ), and will create 4 500 employment opportunities.
According to the Premier, 35 Black Industrialists have been supported by the Department of Trade, Industry and Competition (the dtic) and for grant funding, and they will create approximately 4 000 jobs. She said the target is to support 10 new Black Industrialists in the coming financial year.
“KwaZulu-Natal has 35 small scale fisheries cooperatives comprising 1 000 small scale fishers registered by the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment. Government has rolled out training to capacitate these fishers in the variety of Ocean Economy and Maritime technical skills,” the Premier said.
Dube-Ncube also highlighted some government-led projects to create jobs, including the Port of Durban's R1.34 billion investment programme aimed at upgrading port facilities to mainly increase port capacity. This created 1 328 jobs.
The Passenger Rail Agency South Africa (PRASA) has also spent over R900 million in KwaZulu-Natal through its capital programme on investment and infrastructure works.
“This includes projects on rolling stock upgrades, including the Bridge City Development with a new rail network, new access gates and CCTV cameras and stations, and the Dalbridge turnaround facility and general infrastructure station improvement. These were never there prior to this government.
“In 2023, the R2 billion Dr Pixley ka lsaka Seme Regional Hospital was officially opened with 500 beds and a full package of regional services provided. This hospital has changed lives, especially in the Phoenix, lnanda, Ntuzuma and KwaMashu (PINK) area, and created 5 312 jobs during construction,” Dube-Ncube highlighted.
The Premier acknowledged that government alone cannot address the enormous developmental challenges faced by the province.
“In order to accelerate development, we have partnered with the private sector to stimulate our economy. The public and private projects, worth over R129 billion, have created over 339 000 jobs,” the Premier said. – SAnews.gov.za
GabiK
Thu, 02/29/2024 - 10:05
JOHANNESBURG: Proteas Men’s Captain, Temba Bavuma, visited the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital on Monday to see first-hand the institution’s ongoing...
JOHANNESBURG: It is with deep sadness and heavy hearts that Cricket South Africa (CSA) mourns the passing of Shaun George, a...
The International Cricket Council (ICC) is delighted to launch the latest addition to its Training and Education Programme – the ICC Umpire Level 1 Course. The vision for the programme is to empower and equip ICC Members to create their own workforces while inspiring and encouraging participants to choose cricket as their number one sport …
Fans celebrated 100 days to go to the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup with tickets going on general sale as the ‘out of this world’ campaign was launched with larger-than-life cricket balls landing in the nine host locations including in Times Square in New York City and in Bridgetown in Barbados. Cricket stars Dwayne Bravo …
The countdown is on to the largest ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2024, which will be played in the West Indies and USA from 1—29 June, with 22 February marking 100 days to the start of the historic event. General ticket sales for the World Cup, which will feature the global superstars of the game, …
India opener Yashasvi Jaiswal continues his ascent in the ICC Men’s Test Batting Rankings after scoring an unbeaten 214 in the third Test of their five-match ICC Men’s Test Championship series against England in Rajkot. The 22-year-old left-hander joined a select band of seven cricketers to score double centuries in two consecutive Tests including two …
JOHANNESBURG: The stage is set for the inaugural International Masters Cricket Over-40s World Cup, scheduled to commence on Monday, 19...
JOHANNESBURG: Cricket South Africa (CSA) mourns the passing of Mike Procter, one of the game’s greatest all-rounders, who has died...
JOHANNESBURG: Blind Cricket South Africa (BCSA) has announced the squad to face New Zealand Blind Cricket in the upcoming series...
JOHANNESBURG: Cricket South Africa (CSA) and the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) have today confirmed the men’s...
The International Cricket Council has expressed sorrow at the passing of former South Africa all-rounder Mike Procter at the age of 77. In a statement, ICC Chief Executive Geoff Allardice remembered Procter as a great player and as one of the earlier full-time members of the Emirates ICC Elite Panel of Match Referees. “It’s sad …
Afghanistan player Mohammad Nabi has ended Shakib Al Hasan’s long tenure as the number one all-rounder in the ICC Men’s ODI Player Rankings after smashing a fine century in the first ODI against Sri Lanka in Pallekele. Nabi, who has been the number one T20I all-rounder in the past, moved up to the top position …
Introduction Padel balls are often underrated yet they are pivotal in defining the quality of play. The evolution of padel balls from their early inception to the modern-day has been marked by an unwavering focus on enhancing playability and performance. Today’s balls are a culmination of this evolution, designed to meet the rigorous demands of …
Sunrisers Eastern Cape and Durban’s Super Giants most represented teams Wednesday, 14 February 2024: Betway SA20 has announced the...
PERTH: Ahead of the Proteas Women’s inaugural Test match against Australia at the prestigious Western Australia Cricket Association (WACA) Ground...
‘The League can only grow from strength to strength’ Tuesday, 13 February 2024: League Commissioner, Graeme Smith, believes Betway...
The last few weeks, which I spent being the event ambassador for the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup, was an exhilarating experience, especially watching the young talent on show in this special tournament. It was nerve-racking to do commentary and work behind the mic – I haven’t been that nervous in a while – …
PERTH: Following a closely contested white-ball leg Down Under, the Proteas Women shift their focus to their inaugural Test match against...
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has revealed the ICC Men’s and Women’s Player of the Month award winners for January 2024 after shortlists were announced last week. Shamar Joseph celebrates a maiden ICC Men’s Player of the Month crown after making a sensational debut for the West Indies in their dramatic Test series in Australia. …
